Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking an extended trip to parts out west, apx 3,000 miles. I will have two bikes on a rack behind my SUV, ( no room in the vehicle ). I am concerned about damage from the elements. I thought about buying a BBQ grill cover and modifying it to cover the bikes. Has anyone tried this before. See any problems with this concept?
I am leaving Monday morning so need a quick answer.
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
how about a big ol' tarp?

MObiker said:
I am taking an extended trip to parts out west, apx 3,000 miles. I will have two bikes on a rack behind my SUV, ( no room in the vehicle ). I am concerned about damage from the elements. I thought about buying a BBQ grill cover and modifying it to cover the bikes. Has anyone tried this before. See any problems with this concept?
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!
BBQ grills, least the ones I'm familiar with, tend to be kinda square boxy shaped, and don't have handlebars and saddles and wheels sticking out all over. I should think a generously sized tarp and rope would adapt better to the shape of a couple bikes. Plus I don't think you can spend a rainy night under a BBQ grill cover.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I tried it both ways. I used tarps and for this last vacation I used an old Honda Motorcycle cover. The Honda cover did a great job. I should have taken it off on the long dry sections though. One corner flapped excessively causing it to fray. I kept a can of lube in one of the back cup holders for easy access. I sprayed the chains, etc at night or when it rained a lot. I also try to spray a small drop on the top of the headset, I hate that little rust spot they have a tendency to develop. Lock your bikes on the rack and make sure you get the wheels. What would be easier than getting to a quick release up on a rack. At night I always tried to back my bikes up against a tree or the like to impede access. Watch your bike computer if you have on (take it off) the mist and spray will get in under the right conditions. Watch the rub/swing/touch between the bikes, you may want to fasten a rag between the frames or components that may rub. I also like to use small bungee cords to control the front wheels from swinging or spinning. With multiple bikes I bungee the front of two wheels together. I think it is worth the extra few minutes. My wife and kids got a laugh out of it to "I just need a minute".

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Be careful...tarps can be like sandpaper.

MObiker said:
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!
I've seen this done before where the plastic or tarp wound up being an abrasive rub on certain parts of the bike surfaces with some ugly results. Under the right circumstances it doesn't take much movement over a long period of time for this to happen. You'd think plastic wouldn't be that abrasive, but I guess over time it can do some damage if conditions are right. I even saw a thin plastic cable nearly saw through a Cannondale frame (yeah, I know...beer cans) when it wasn't under any tension. Some weird things can happen on a vehicle over a long haul if the conditions are right. I've hauled my bikes over long highway conditions, and I just make sure they're fastened down properly. Even after running through rainstorms and sandstorms, I've only had to wipe down and relube stuff to get them back to looking and operating well. If you're going to do this, maybe get some large diameter pipe foam/wrap and go nuts with the stuff. Just be careful...the "rub" gremlin can sneak up on you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back from trip

I got back from my trip, 3,600 miles. Before I left I talked to the LBS and they said don't worry about covering the bikes, so I didn't. I did a lot of the things that were mentioned in these posts but I still got a nice rub mark on my Fox Fork. I have no idea how it got there. I could have sworn there was clearance there. I checked it a zillion times. My insurance company said I had a $2000 deductable so the bikes went into several motel rooms with me. People look at you weird when you do this. Better safe then sorry. Thanks for the suggestions !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts