Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've built up my ripley for endurance racing here in the Alps. I thought I'd run a Pike at 120mm since the trails can be really rocky and rough. I don't mind the slight weight gain compared to a sid or fox 32, but the lack of lockout makes the pike unsuitable in my eyes for racing, even if most my climbing is seated....I thought it had a true lockout but the compression lock doesn't do enough for me.

Any fork out there with pike stiffness and weight with a lockout?

I was thinking of picking up a Sid RCT3 to use for races and use the pike at 130 or 140mm for enduro rides. However I can't seem to find a sid with 51mm offset and 15mm axle. only 9mmQR.

Expensive route would be to go with a rs-1 or lefty supermax, but don't really want to spend that much money.

Fox had a horrible reputation with the 2014 forks, are the 2016 32 forks any better? What other options are there? hard to find the 51mm offset on dtswiss, manitou etc.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Found my 51mm offset SID RCT3 at amazon. Works great for XC races. I preferred it over the RS1 bcos im not in favour of carbon steerer. I regularly ride rocks and roots and the occasional 2 foot jump.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Maybe the lockout on your pike is not working properly, mine works really well no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Lockout isn't a full lockout but it works enough for me. I am on the heavy side 100kg (220lb) and found most lockouts don't work fully for me anyway. Maybe you have the same problem. I use the same bike for Enduro and XC and have been playing around with oil weights in the damper. I now run a lighter oil to help with square hits and havent really noticed a difference in the lockout when up out of the seat pedalling. Seated pedalling is even better. I find a bit of movement when climbing very rocky sections is actually helpful and great if you forget to open it up before descending as it will still blow off on the bigger bumps. I have a solo air so riding at the sag level when climbing actually helps, if it were a full lockout then it would ride much higher and shift my weight back.
I also have a pair of Marz 44s with travel adjust that i hardly use anymore because they are nearly 300g heavier than my pikes.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I switch between a SID for endurance racing and a Fox 36 for fun. For technical courses I'm not sure I'd install the SID moving forward. If I only had one fork I'd run a Pike @ 130 to split the difference between the two. My build isn't very light now but I'm more comfortable on the descents and actually prefer the 36 on tech climbs. I'm becoming less interested in light components based on my local terrain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts