Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My seat and seat post were stolen so I need to replace them. I have a 2005 Gary Fisher Marlin 17" frame with 26" tires. I am 5'11" and although I don't know a lot about mountain bikes I do hit the trails pretty hard.

I need a seat post that is 26.8 mm in diameter but I don't know how long to get it? I keep my seat high for climbing so what length post should I get?

Also, I have no clue where to begin with buying a seat?

What about discount websites to buy parts for cheap? I want to get decent components but I don't want to spend too much.

Thanks for your help!

:thumbsup:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Sounds like a visit to a local bike shop might be a good way to go for both a post and saddle, or start googling (google shopping works well), there's tons of online retailers (using qbike.com or bestbikebuys.com can be good ways to look for bargains, too). Some shops have saddle measuring systems, to measure the width of your sit-bones.

I take it the seatpost was stock? Probably was around a 300-350mm length, but best to err on the long side, you can always cut it down (or just leave it long). Bikepedia shows a 2005 Marlin as having a 27.2mm post, but doesn't indicate length; double checking your post size at a shop would be far easier than buying something that doesn't fit...

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
In 26.8 Thomson, USE (v spendy) DMR, Azonic (less spendy), Brand X, Streamline and System Ex (cheap) all have seat posts around 350-400mm mark, so worth a look.

Saddle wise Charge and Jaxcy make the best cheap saddles, but I'm not sure of their availability in the US.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
luckee2bhere said:
HOW ABOUT THIS...where can i go online to learn more about mountain bike parts?
You're pretty much already there...try using the search function.

There's basically aluminum posts and carbon posts. Aluminum will be cheaper. Saddles generally use a plastic shell with some padding and a leather or vinyl cover, rails can be a few different alloys, generally the steel ones being cheaper.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i just got one of the salsa seatposts, my only complaint so far is the paint rubs off very easy when it slides inside the frame, and yes, i greased the hell of it... anyway, they dont seem to make it in the diameter you need, but for those who can use it, its a $50 or less alum. post with a SUPER easy, sweet adjustment system.. took less than half the time it normally would with a single bolt seat post, and probably half the time of other more complicated micro adjust systems... its sweet and not too hateful on the wallet.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Iridethedirt said:
i just got one of the salsa seatposts, my only complaint so far is the paint rubs off very easy when it slides inside the frame, and yes, i greased the hell of it... anyway, they dont seem to make it in the diameter you need, but for those who can use it, its a $50 or less alum. post with a SUPER easy, sweet adjustment system.. took less than half the time it normally would with a single bolt seat post, and probably half the time of other more complicated micro adjust systems... its sweet and not too hateful on the wallet.
It's not paint afaik, just cheap anodizing (maybe it is a poor paint job, wtfdik); have one of their Shaft posts and find not only the anodizing annoyingly poor (thank you QBP) but the range of adjustment for tilt is poor as well. YMMV.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
maybe i spoke too soon, universal cycles has the spoon but with ti rails for $60. but ride this has the cromo version for $30. guess i should have poked around a little more first.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
you really should buy seats locally. chances are you'll have to try a bunch of seats before you find one thats really great for your specific body type.

it might cost you more up front, but it'll cost you less in the long run if you're not buying seats that you hate. most shops are on the same page with this and will let you either demo a seat, or return it for one that fits better.

i just got a pure v race, and a speed she at performance for 48 bucks.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
WTB has a sample saddle program in place in a lot of shops, with various widths and lengths...a good way to try oneout. Special Ed has a fitting system that may or may not help. Saddles are extremely personal in the end, you have to find one that works for you...recommendations from others can mean little.

PS now that you don't just have the saddle that came with the bike, it's a great time to experiment....

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
As far as seatpost. Get a Kalloy. They'rre about $15 and last. They're not made to be light, but they work without any problems. Your LBS should have them in stock. WTB saddles can be had for $30 on up. ttyl, Fahn

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
LarryFahn said:
As far as seatpost. Get a Kalloy. They'rre about $15 and last. They're not made to be light, but they work without any problems. Your LBS should have them in stock. WTB saddles can be had for $30 on up. ttyl, Fahn
I agree. As far as I'm concerned, there's cheap generic posts like kalloy, and there's Thomson; if $80 is too much for a post, don't spend more than $20.

http://aebike.com/product/kalloy-26.8x400mm-black-alloy-post-sku-st4468-qc30.htm
If I were in your situation, I'd just get the longest post I could since it's easy to make a post shorter if you need to.

Saddles, if you have a bike club in your area, might be worth asking around. Many/most serious riders have a saddle collection from the search for the right one. I know I have a couple that came on complete bikes that I promptly removed. I'd give them away for the asking.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Joules said:
I agree. As far as I'm concerned, there's cheap generic posts like kalloy, and there's Thomson; if $80 is too much for a post, don't spend more than $20.

http://aebike.com/product/kalloy-26.8x400mm-black-alloy-post-sku-st4468-qc30.htm
If I were in your situation, I'd just get the longest post I could since it's easy to make a post shorter if you need to.

Saddles, if you have a bike club in your area, might be worth asking around. Many/most serious riders have a saddle collection from the search for the right one. I know I have a couple that came on complete bikes that I promptly removed. I'd give them away for the asking.
I agree that Thomson is the king of
the seatpost. However, there are good options between junky cheapo alloy single bolt clamp style posts... The salsa post I linked is really nice. Super sweet micro adjust cam makes saddle set up ultra easy. And it's decently
light, and barely more expensive than a cheapo kalloy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.