Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting married in April and want to get my wife-to-be a nice mid range XC bike. Personally I ride a team Scalpel and bleed Cannondale but she just can’t get over the lefty phobia so here I am searching for something else. Of course my first two picks are the Juliana and the discontinued Epic Womens but that leaves me with two hard to find bikes one of which is more bike then she needs right now. The only two options that I am considering is the Gary Fisher Cake and the Trek Fuel both WSD. I’m worried that the GF will be too much travel for our Florida sandy single track and with no lockout on the suspension she’ll be stuck with a pogo stick. The Trek I have heard is just plain heavy and the components are just so-so. She’s not really short… maybe 5’6” so its not a height factor that she needs a WSD its more that I’ve heard nothing but great things from my women rider friends that it really does make a difference.

Any ideas?

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
2 suggestions...

TechnoMetrics said:
I'm getting married in April and want to get my wife-to-be a nice mid range XC bike. Personally I ride a team Scalpel and bleed Cannondale but she just can't get over the lefty phobia so here I am searching for something else. Of course my first two picks are the Juliana and the discontinued Epic Womens but that leaves me with two hard to find bikes one of which is more bike then she needs right now. The only two options that I am considering is the Gary Fisher Cake and the Trek Fuel both WSD. I'm worried that the GF will be too much travel for our Florida sandy single track and with no lockout on the suspension she'll be stuck with a pogo stick. The Trek I have heard is just plain heavy and the components are just so-so. She's not really short… maybe 5'6" so its not a height factor that she needs a WSD its more that I've heard nothing but great things from my women rider friends that it really does make a difference.

Any ideas?
1. get her to try out some bikes so that she can pick one that fits her. WSD is not great for every woman. If she wants a bike, send her off/take her to the bike shops to try out everything in her size.

2. run a search on 'bikes for my girl friend' on this forum. this topic has be covered more times than i care to count.

btw, congrats on getting married.

rt

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
IF the only thing negative she has against the Cannondale is the Lefty, swap out the Lefty fork for a conventional fork.

Otherwise, as suggested, start hitting as many shops as possible so she can test ride the bikes herself.

It's kind of like bouncing soccer balls off the forehead of a 13 year old. They will let you know which one they like best. ;)

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
TechnoMetrics said:
I'm getting married in April and want to get my wife-to-be a nice mid range XC bike. Personally I ride a team Scalpel and bleed Cannondale but she just can't get over the lefty phobia so here I am searching for something else. Of course my first two picks are the Juliana and the discontinued Epic Womens but that leaves me with two hard to find bikes one of which is more bike then she needs right now. The only two options that I am considering is the Gary Fisher Cake and the Trek Fuel both WSD. I'm worried that the GF will be too much travel for our Florida sandy single track and with no lockout on the suspension she'll be stuck with a pogo stick. The Trek I have heard is just plain heavy and the components are just so-so. She's not really short… maybe 5'6" so its not a height factor that she needs a WSD its more that I've heard nothing but great things from my women rider friends that it really does make a difference.

Any ideas?
Dear TechnoMetrics,
Congratulations ! Why not get her a XC bike made by Cannondale. They make the best XC shock around. Its called a Headshok! Personally, I think its better than the Lefty. From some of the lovely ladies I know that ride, most like regular bikes. I do know of one exception of a lady rider with a Juliana. She is one of the best technical riders be it a man or a woman. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
May your union be a Blessed one!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
The Chaplain said:
Dear TechnoMetrics,
Congratulations ! Why not get her a XC bike made by Cannondale. They make the best XC shock around. Its called a Headshok! Personally, I think its better than the Lefty. From some of the lovely ladies I know that ride, most like regular bikes. I do know of one exception of a lady rider with a Juliana. She is one of the best technical riders be it a man or a woman. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
May your union be a Blessed one!
the best bike in the world will still suck and collect dust if it doesn't fit right or there is something that she just doesn't like about it. Hence, the WL suggestion to let her pick it out, get a gift certificate, put some socks and some money in a box, whatever...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
How about one of these?

Or is this too much like a gift to yourself?

Just kidding.

Yeah, better take her to the bike shop. I'm a big fan of Stumpjumper FSRs myself, and they make a WSD version if that works for her. The Epic is more of a race bike, and actually rides a tad on the harsh and twitchy side. You can get many of the benifits of the brain shock by just getting a pro pedal kinda shock, which they almost all have these days anyway, IIRC.

I have an older Stumpy with a Fox Float RL with lockout lever, and I don't really use the lockout that much anyway... only on long non-techy climbs where I stand a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts