Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back to riding for the first time in 15 years. I have great friends that keep letting me bum their bikes, but I have been looking like crazy for one of my own. I am built like a gorilla long torso and short legs. I keep getting deal after deal on used 26 bikes, but the deal always falls through. If this next deal falls through I want to work on a back up plan. So here is my question I love the feel of the Trek/Gary Fisher Marlin it fits me well. It is on sale for only $550 at a local bike shop. Would I be smart to buy it then upgrade the forks and brakes later? Or should I buy a different bike with better components, for more money up front?

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
Get a better one if you can afford it. Upgrading a fork or wheelset can be very expensive, but those are some components that will make a big difference if upgraded. I could drop two pounds off my bike by upgrading the fork, for example, but it would cost half what I paid for the bike in the first place.

Avoid the cheapest components, like cheap disk brakes. My friend got a bike with Tektro IOs, and they sucked. My current bike has Avid BB5's, and they are a pain to keep in adjustment.

Do save money for some upgrades that you will want to do no matter what the bike, like tires and grips if you have a preference. A lot of low-end bikes come with really bad tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am getting a 2011 Specialized Expert 29er. It is making my budget but I have a great deal on a new one for $1030 out the door with free tune ups for life. It is pushing my budget through the roof but it has such better components than the Marlin. It tried it out and it fits great.

·
Braille Riding Instructor
1,146 Posts
Oppjonez said:
I think I am getting a 2011 Specialized Expert 29er. It is making my budget but I have a great deal on a new one for $1030 out the door with free tune ups for life. It is pushing my budget through the roof but it has such better components than the Marlin. It tried it out and it fits great.
If you've worked out a deal on a $3K bike for only $1K, then you better take it. The Marlin is not even in the same class.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Oppjonez said:
What bike are you getting got a link??

·
Braille Riding Instructor
1,146 Posts
Ah, OK. That's not quite the same bike as what I thought--the Stumpjumper Expert 29er.

Still, that's a nice ride. Be sure to post some pics when you get it home--it's like handing out cigars after having a baby. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.