Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building up a Turner 02 for my wife. It's got the 4" rockers on it, and I'm trying to figure out exactley which fork to go with. I'm wanting to keep the fork fairly light (under 3.6-3.7lbs) and also wanting to choose something that will be reliable. I'm fine with buying a used fork, but finding a decent used one has been a struggle. Right now the choices are Mantiou Skareb with 100mm, Zoke Marathon SL 100 or a Fox Float 100. I'm really wanting to stay in the $200-$225 range. Can anyone offer some advice as to what you're riding or even other options?

·
Registered
510 Posts
fork

Hi Otter-I've got a burner w/ 4" rockers and have been running a '04 talas on it for about 1 1/2 yrs. It's 4lbs and has been good and reliable for me. I usually run it 100 up and 125 for the downhill sections. But I guess the O2, you'd want to stick to 100mm. Sorry haven't tried any of those forks, how about the RS reba? My BF runs the Pike version on his RFX, and I've ridden it and it's super nice, plus adjustable, I'd like to try the reba on my bike. Good luck, btw what rear shock is she running?

Otter said:
I'm in the process of building up a Turner 02 for my wife. It's got the 4" rockers on it, and I'm trying to figure out exactley which fork to go with. I'm wanting to keep the fork fairly light (under 3.6-3.7lbs) and also wanting to choose something that will be reliable. I'm fine with buying a used fork, but finding a decent used one has been a struggle. Right now the choices are Mantiou Skareb with 100mm, Zoke Marathon SL 100 or a Fox Float 100. I'm really wanting to stay in the $200-$225 range. Can anyone offer some advice as to what you're riding or even other options?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, the I've considered the Reba, but between the price of it and some of the reliability issues I've been hearing about I decided to look elsewhere. The O2 has a Cane Creek Cloud 9 on it. Haven't ridden it yet, but once I do I'll post a review of it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Skareb

I ride a Yeti Kokopelli with a Manitou Skareb fork. I needed a new fork last fall, and my husband wanted to get me a lighter fork, so he bought the Skareb. I only have words of praise for the fork and its performance. It was easy to set up for my weight and riding style, and has been hassle-free since then. I absolutely love it! :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
Riding a 2004 Fox Float RLC

Hi. I replaced a RS Duke SL with a Fox Float RLC on my SC Juliana about 1 1/2 years ago and I love it! It has been absolutely reliable with no issues whatsoever after about 1500 miles. It rides so much better than the Duke. It definitely makes me a better, more confident rider.

Good luck with your search.

Lori

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
If the girl in mind is less than 140lb I'd forget the Fox Float. Mrs. 71 had one on her Juliana for years. The non linear spring just doesn't work for light riders. The fork never got full travel even with a lot of sag.

The Talas she has on her bike now is so much better - even when set to the same travel as her old Float. It's the linear air spring - much better suited to light riders. Also you can get it custom valved just for her by PUSH industries. The sad fact of the matter is that forks just aren’t valved for light riders, so performance is always going to be off the mark unless you play with the valving and the oil weight.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve71 said:
If the girl in mind is less than 140lb I'd forget the Fox Float. Mrs. 71 had one on her Juliana for years. The non linear spring just doesn't work for light riders. The fork never got full travel even with a lot of sag.

The Talas she has on her bike now is so much better - even when set to the same travel as her old Float. It's the linear air spring - much better suited to light riders. Also you can get it custom valved just for her by PUSH industries. The sad fact of the matter is that forks just aren't valved for light riders, so performance is always going to be off the mark unless you play with the valving and the oil weight.
Yeah, I've heard alot about light riders having issues with forks. My wife is in the 115-120 range and I'm a little concerned about that. I've got my eye on an older Float that could use a rebuild, so I've thought that if the price is right on it I could send it off to PUSH to have it set up. Thanks again for all of the help!

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Otter said:
Yeah, I've heard alot about light riders having issues with forks. My wife is in the 115-120 range and I'm a little concerned about that. I've got my eye on an older Float that could use a rebuild, so I've thought that if the price is right on it I could send it off to PUSH to have it set up. Thanks again for all of the help!
I talked to Darren at PUSH about "fixing" the Fox Float for smaller riders. He said he could improve the damping, but there is very little that can be done about the way the air spring ramps up. So in the end you'll still only have about 60-70mm of useable travel on the float. My wife much prefers the feel of the 05' Talas at 100mm as compared to the float, but we still plan on having it PUSHED - the rebound is a little on the slow side.

It's going to end up a rather pricey fork. But suspension is EVERYTHING if you like to hammer the downhill... well ok, brakes, tires and fit are also very important too, but you get my drift - if the fork sucks, then the ride sucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.