Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am building up a new single speed 29er. i am pushing 250lbs with gear. wondering about cranks. been running race face elvolve xc with issis BB for years with no issues, but want something different. which is best ...middleburn, white industries, others?

also on the bottom bracket...i have been running issis for years. the only square taper i ever had was a cheap set-up on an old entry level bike, and i destroyed them with 3 months. i love the white industry stuff but the square taper worries me.

can anyone offer some advice or guidance? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
The White Ind and Middelburn are both really nice cranks. I'd say they are even on quality, Middleburn has a much more versatile spider options though. As for square taper BB's, Phil Wood BB's are not *that* expensive and is basically a one time purchase. If you are not tearing up ISIS BB's, you will not kill a Phil.

·
Registered
64 Posts
many isis bottom brackets are throw aways after a short period of time. they are stiff, but the bearings don't last. some are better than others, as you have found.

square tapers can be good. the last ones shimano made for the xt/xtr and ultegra/dura-ace were awesome. i still have two in service on various bikes.

i agree that the phil wood square taper bb is a winner, either way you go.

·
Que je suis bete!
438 Posts
Just did it

I just put the SKF XC600 and Middleburn Uno crank set up on my ss. Beautiful. The arms can be used for multispeed later, but can be ordered in a Uno set up with a 32 tooth chainring. A 34 tooth is also now available. The only place I could find the BB I wanted was at Chain Reaction. If you order the whole works from them, you can get it for about $250 and free shipping!

·
Que je suis bete!
438 Posts
I don't remember exactly, but the whole thing, arms chainring and BB were right at 780 to 790 grams. The arms and 32 chainring were 480ish and the BB was 295ish. With the grease, 790? 32t chainring weighs 86g and the 34 is 98g so the bigger ring would push it just over 800g, I imagine. Oh yeah, I forgot the BB bolts: another 15-20 grams. That's 300 grams lighter than the Saints I had on there, although I dearly love my saints! If I hit any riding with major peddle strike potential I may put the saints back on to protect the little Middleburn beauties, maybe.

·
Registered
Moots
36 Posts
pcrage_2 said:
i am building up a new single speed 29er. i am pushing 250lbs with gear. wondering about cranks. been running race face elvolve xc with issis BB for years with no issues, but want something different. which is best ...middleburn, white industries, others?

also on the bottom bracket...i have been running issis for years. the only square taper i ever had was a cheap set-up on an old entry level bike, and i destroyed them with 3 months. i love the white industry stuff but the square taper worries me.

can anyone offer some advice or guidance? any help is greatly appreciated.
I'm 235 lbs. and running RaceFace Turbine ISIS cranks with an SKF BB and on my geared bike with no issues. SKF is known to build solids bearings. I'm also building a SS 29er, and leaning towards ENO's and Phil BB. Mix it up a little, go with the square taper BB.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I just got a set of Middleburns in the mail last week. They are sweet looking cranks. I'm a retro grouch and have the square taper version. Haven't ridden them yet because I'm still building. So far I like what I see.

Drew

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Hold on....

Square tapers are nice. I did burn out a PW in about a season and a half and they fixed it up no questions asked. You wouldn't be wrong with going that route. MY PW square taper has been used with a set of TA Carminas (185mms) and a RF LP.

ISIS is nice if you've got the right BB. I have both an SKF and a Crank Bros. Both have been trouble free and both have nice warantees. The SKFs seem hard to find. I used them both on a RF LP (ISIS of course). (My SKF is a 68mm width BB, which I no longer use, for sale.)

Here is my highly opinionated 2 cents. Look at the outboard bearing type setups, specifically the XTs. You are a heavy weight and will likely be stomping on the cranks. I think the burlier design of the new XTs would be the way to go. The other designs will work well but won't handle the mashing from a 260 pounder like the XTs can. On the other hand if you are going to be running a flexy frame it's probably going to be a non-issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.