Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma. Well, it's not really a "dilemma" and most of you will make fun of me for it, but it's a choice I'm considering and I'm looking for people with experience in the subject...

I currently own an S-Works Epic with a Fox F80X and the standard obligatory "bling" parts list (Thomson, King, X.0, Marta SL, etc).

I'm 6' 2" and my life revolves around racing. Both short distance XC and long endurance races. I've decided that I would probably greatly benefit by moving to 29" wheels (I kinda suck on steep downhills).

I'm gonna go order a full custom Ti Seven Verve 29'er. I'm hoping that I can make it agile enough to entirely replace my Epic. Am I being realistic? I'd like to sell the Epic to buffer the cost of the Seven but I'm afraid if I do that, then I'll miss having the Epic for rougher races.

Do any of you other racers still keep a 26'er around? Do any of you keep both an FS and Hardtail around for racing, too? I haven't owned a hardtail in probably 7 years. Will a 29" Ti hardtail be forgiving enough on my lower back to keep me motoring in solo 24h races? Honestly, I bet it will be more forgiving than the Epic... heheh ;)

Maybe I'll just buy the Frame, Fork and Wheelset for now. Swap the other parts out from the Epic. Ride it around a bunch and make my decision then?

Thanks!

- Jeremy -

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
- Jeremy - said:
Here's my dilemma. Well, it's not really a "dilemma" and most of you will make fun of me for it, but it's a choice I'm considering and I'm looking for people with experience in the subject...

I currently own an S-Works Epic with a Fox F80X and the standard obligatory "bling" parts list (Thomson, King, X.0, Marta SL, etc).

I'm 6' 2" and my life revolves around racing. Both short distance XC and long endurance races. I've decided that I would probably greatly benefit by moving to 29" wheels (I kinda suck on steep downhills).

I'm gonna go order a full custom Ti Seven Verve 29'er. I'm hoping that I can make it agile enough to entirely replace my Epic. Am I being realistic? I'd like to sell the Epic to buffer the cost of the Seven but I'm afraid if I do that, then I'll miss having the Epic for rougher races.

Do any of you other racers still keep a 26'er around? Do any of you keep both an FS and Hardtail around for racing, too? I haven't owned a hardtail in probably 7 years. Will a 29" Ti hardtail be forgiving enough on my lower back to keep me motoring in solo 24h races? Honestly, I bet it will be more forgiving than the Epic... heheh ;)

Maybe I'll just buy the Frame, Fork and Wheelset for now. Swap the other parts out from the Epic. Ride it around a bunch and make my decision then?

Thanks!

- Jeremy -
Why not get a Titus Racer-X 29er?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my original plan. Then I decided that $3000-3500 is doable, but a little ridiculous for a frame that I may not even like. Titus doesn't offer an aluminum 29" Racer-X.

Asylum's won't be available for quite a while and they only come in a paint finish. I hate paint.

I won't buy a Lenz. Decent bikes, but I think they have a stupid name... "Lenz Sport".... ugh. (Sorry, Mr. Lenz).

Then I thought about getting a Niner One9, but they're not available until May.

The Intense Spider 29" really piqued my interest, but those won't be around until summer.

So I figured I would simplify my problems and my bike. Go custom Ti hardtail. I can shave off 3+ lbs and reduce the amount of maintenance required over my Epic. And hopefully... It will be faster and more comfortable.

Am I retarded? (*cough*rhetorical*cough*) ;)

- Jeremy -

·
Registered
166 Posts
- Jeremy - said:
That was my original plan. Then I decided that $3000-3500 is doable, but a little ridiculous for a frame that I may not even like. Titus doesn't offer an aluminum 29" Racer-X.

So I figured I would simplify my problems and my bike. Go custom Ti hardtail. I can shave off 3+ lbs and reduce the amount of maintenance required over my Epic. And hopefully... It will be faster and more comfortable.

- Jeremy -
For about the same price you could have the best FS 29er on the market in the RX 29er (this will no doubt evoke the wrath of the Lenz Lemmings - but I don't care, calling 'em as I see 'em, no excuses). I don't think there is any possibility you'll "not even like it." And with it being Ti, it'll be full custom geometry. If you're serious about a custom HT, but like FS's, then there's virtually no way you'll dis-like a stiff racing FS custom bike.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
29inch said:
For about the same price you could have the best FS 29er on the market in the RX 29er (this will no doubt evoke the wrath of the Lenz Lemmings - but I don't care, calling 'em as I see 'em, no excuses). I don't think there is any possibility you'll "not even like it." And with it being Ti, it'll be full custom geometry. If you're serious about a custom HT, but like FS's, then there's virtually no way you'll dis-like a stiff racing FS custom bike.
FYI, a custom Seven Verve is only $1995. That will save me $1000-1500 over the cost of a custom Racer-X.

The Racer-X Exogrid really was my first choice, but 1500 bucks can buy some pretty sweet wheels and fork.

- Jeremy -

·
Registered
166 Posts
- Jeremy - said:
FYI, a custom Seven Verve is only $1995. That will save me $1000-1500 over the cost of a custom Racer-X.

The Racer-X Exogrid really was my first choice, but 1500 bucks can buy some pretty sweet wheels and fork.

- Jeremy -
true, true...i suppose you need to know how to shop.... :D

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,383 Posts
Get the hardtail and put a Thudbuster on it for rougher courses. You'll still be lighter than the Titus and you'll have the same amount of rear travel. Wait for the increasing number of FS options to complete your stable in a year or two.

I own a ti racer X and a B-29. I bought the RX before the latest price hike. I ride the RX most of the time, but I think the overall comfort and performance between the two is very similar considering the price of the RX and its whopping 2.9 inches of travel.

I often think about getting the Float "pushed" in order to up the ride quality of the RX, but haven't done it yet. My nit pick with the RX is that to get full travel out of the shock, I have to set it up with 50% sag which only leaves me with about 1.5 inches, and it slacks out the bike too much. I'm guessing the problem comes from the shock not being valved for a clyde.

Oh, sell the 26" bike while is still has value. You won't ride it anymore after the 29"er.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ventana El Capitan

- Jeremy - said:

- Jeremy -
For that price you could have a Ventana. www.ventanausa.com. They also have a demo program. That way you can try it before you buy it. (916) 631-0544 ext. 203 Teresa.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
- Jeremy - said:
Will a 29" Ti hardtail be forgiving enough on my lower back to keep me motoring in solo 24h races?
Hey, why not get a Titus Racer-X 29er? You could probably find a used annodized Asylum before the season begins if you search diligently.

Or you could get a Lenz and put Specialized decals on it or something. :rolleyes: It seems like buying a hardtail when you really want a suspension bike is more of a compromise than buying a Grade-A bike with a name you're not crazy about.

Maybe a hardtail would suit you, but I raced my 26" FS bike (Turner Flux) every race (save one, while it was being built up) this season, while my 29" hardtail (23 lb. Fisher Paragon) sat unused. I would like to try a titanium hardtail to see how much that helps in the comfort department, but of course it's never going to equal 4" of suspension travel. Comfort is pretty important to me in a two hour race, so I can only imagine the part it plays in solo 24 hr. racing.

I consider efficiency (even taking into account the additional weight of FS) a wash, or maybe even a slight advantage for FS. I've been very tempted by the Asylum over the last couple years, but at this point am biding my time until the 29" Flux is out.

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Here is a custom option

This is the frame I am building up for endurance racing. The steel front may be a tad heavier than alum or Ti (and the specialized epics weren't known for being light frames anyway). I will just use componants to lighten it up. It is a full custom geometry that can be had for under 2 grand. 4 inches of travel front and rear for the harder rockier courses. Just another thought to throw into the mix. See link below to pic of frame.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=149907

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
Same boat but No racer..

im buying a complete GF 293 29er and transferring specific parts from the 26er like cranks, seat, seat post and maybe the bar. Ill keep the 26er till the verdicts out on the 29er. If i want to sell the 26er ill use the hubs to build a 29er wheelset and piece everything else out. This, i beleive will minimize the lose in the case that the 29er isnt "the" bike for me and if it does turn out to be then i recover the cost of the 29er buy piecing out the 26er.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
- Jeremy - said:

Asylum's won't be available for quite a while and they only come in a paint finish. I hate paint.

I won't buy a Lenz. Decent bikes, but I think they have a stupid name... "Lenz Sport".... ugh. (Sorry, Mr. Lenz).

Then I thought about getting a Niner One9, but they're not available until May.

The Intense Spider 29" really piqued my interest, but those won't be around until summer.

- Jeremy -
Can I suggest just starting with a custom steel hard tail? Save you some bucks with the initial investment. It isn't that much heavier than Ti (an IF probably could be close to .5lbs to ti?). Another thing. The 29'er will ride a bit different. It takes a bit to really see the benefits. remember to carve a corner vs flicking it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for your input, everyone. I really appreciate it.

I guess I've decided that even though the Seven HT wins hands down in a Pro vs. Con comparison, I've decided to sell my Epic and get the Racer-X because it is more suited to my races.

I'll forego the Exo-Grid and go straight Ti. Exo-Grid is very cool looking, but it's just one more thing to break in a crash.

So this will be my build list. I need to tally up all the weights, but I think it will be a respectable weight for a FS 29'er:

Frame: "Large" Ti Racer-X 29"
Fork: '06 Reba 80mm w/ Poploc
Wheels: DT Swiss 240s Disc, Sapim CX-Rays, Stan's ZTR Olympic 29"
Skewers: Probably Hope or Salsa
Tires: Specialized Fast Traks (love these on my Epic)
Tubes: Stan's No-Tubes... I hope!
Cranks: XTR M960
FD: XTR M960
RD: SRAM X.0
Shifter: X.0 Triggers
Cassette: SRAM 990
Chain: SRAM 990
Handlebar: Easton EC90
Headset: Chris King
Stem: Thomson ~100mm / 0 or 5 deg.
Seatpost: Thomson
Saddle: Specialized Alias or similar
Brakes: Marta SL
Pedals: Exustar Ti or Xpedo Ti

Which, I guess, leads to another question. Does anyone know how well Titus can accommodate for the Reba Poploc? I kinda like how the Niner One9 raises the downtube and welds in a gusset at the HT junction. I wonder if Titus can do the same... I'd rather not use a taller crown race.

I'm going to miss the F80X so much that I think I'll cry, but the Poploc seems to be a reasonable alternative. The new White Bros IMV looks promising, but I wish the WB forks weren't so... eh... ugly.

Anyhow... Thanks again! Titus says it'll take 4-6 weeks for delivery. I should be posting pictures in about 2 months :)

- Jeremy -

1 - 20 of 32 Posts