Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I heart bikes!
204 Posts
Depends on your budget...You can prob get a heck of a deal on an 06 or 07...Ive havent ridin a BLT2 yet but ive heard they are better...If i had the cash i would get the new one...but an 06 or 07 will still make you very happy..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Just get new R AM kit BLT2 then upgrade it over time. The BLT2 is well worth it.

Would suck to get a bike then in 6 months wish you had just gotten the newer one.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
I recently purchased a 07' BLT and was wondering the same thing... for me the BLT was the right price and if you think about it there was not much "broken" with this design, if the BLT2 was still just an Idea would the BLT1 be good enough... of course.
I have read that granny gear climbs produce "feedback" in the BLT (1's) but I have not noticed. There are also some other things, "improvements" that you no doubt have read about on the BLT2 and it is no doubt a sweet ride, but don't discount old faithful- You really can't go wrong in the ride catagory, I like my BLT 1 more every ride.

·
This is how it started...
341 Posts
Decisions, Decisions.

I have been paying pretty close attention to threads comparing BLT1 to BLT2 as I am considering the jump. I ride a BLT1 and had the chance to ride the BLT2 this weekend and I agree with the most of the evaluations on comparison.
See http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=424324 & http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=422108 to read some really good evaluations on both bikes.
I believe there will be two definitive groups of riders that will argue their ownership of both. The BLT1 is a great bike that will do it all. Build it light to rail cross country or coil it up to be more aggressive.
IMO the BLT2 has an advantage if you are going to want to hit some larger drops and like to ride more DH. It has a much larger linkage and has more linear stability but you can still build it light and ride it hard cross country.
Riding style and the build up will determine which bike would work for you and one really can't go wrong with either.
I'm not convinced the BLT2 will be my choice yet....but if you want my opinion on whether you should get the Blur....heck yes!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
i sold my stumpjumper for a blt, and i love it. you will be waaaay stoked to get it and ride it, and trust me, while you're riding it, you won't "wish I got the blt2". sure, the blt2 might be a bit better, but im willing to bet its 2k more than the blur you can get your hands on now with the same kit, no doubt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The haggle continues...

First of all! Thanks to everyone who gave good advice...My shop and I have been haggling on the price. As of yesterday they are willing to drop the price by a grand, full warranty ect... So 2900 plus upgrade to better crank...I think its a good deal???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thats not a bad price.... However, I have a Nomad and my neighbor rides a 06' Blur LT. He has had it for about 2 yrs so he may be getting bored off it, but he is eyeing the LT2 or a Nomad. But then again you would need about 2k more for those bikes. As mentioned.. you really have to consider your riding style.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Pops2u,

Why spend $2900 on a bike that will require more maintenance, and has yesterdays technology when the R AM kit for a BLT2 is $3099.

Instead of wanting a new bike in a year or two..you can spend that time upgrading parts if you prefer (though probably not necessary). I know original BLT is nice bike but the BLT2 is amazing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.