Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking for a mountain bike for my wife. I'm trying to get her started on mountain biking and I want to take her out on the trails with me. Before I spend a lot of money and buy her a really nice bike, I'd like to buy a cheaper one and let her test it out. If she hates mountain biking then I'm not out a whole bunch of money. So, I have a budget of 200 dollars to buy her a bike, but I don't particularly want to buy a walmart/department store bike. Any advice?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I haven't even picked up my MTB yet so take my advice with a grain of salt but if you up your budget to $350 or so, you can get into something like the Trek 820. If you are stuck at $200 craigslist is your friend. There was a Trek 820 on there for $100 and it looked new. Patience will help you find a good bike for a great deal. Also, bicyclebluebook.com will help to find a fair deal. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you're not sure if she'll even take to trail riding, see if you can rent or borrow one before dropping cash on one. Starting her out on a $200 or less bike might discourage her...especially if you have a much nicer bike yourself. If she's excited about the idea, take some trips to shops...especially shops that have used bikes...and see what she likes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Renting/borrowing is a great idea. The 1st real "fight" I had with my wife was on a singletrack trail in Mammoth. She hadn't ridden much in her life and was very uncomfortable with the narrowness of the trail and the trees. She stopped 3 miles in the middle of no where and declared she was done. After I said we have to keep going since we were far out from town she threw my friend's dad's bike off a steep hillside, needless to say that trip ended badly. 20 years latter I have her on paved town paths and rail trails hooked up to a trail-a-bike for our son but there is no way I'm ever going to get her on mountain bike trails (although I have been contemplating a newer bike, her Gary Fisher Wahoo is 18 years old, to improve ride comfort with some suspension and possibly lessen the weight...) A crappy bike won't help convince her it's a fun sport so renting/borrowing a decent bike for an afternoon or 2/3/4 should be very educational and cheaper in the long run (assuming she can get over the sore butt hurdle)

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Rent or borrow. Not much worthwhile at $200. What did you spend on your mountain bike?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a GT Karakoram 3.0 on sale for about $400. I like it for now, but I'll be upgrading later on. I hadn't thought of renting. I think I'll do that this weekend. I asked her if she wanted to go with me and she said yes. I pushed a little, but she is interested. I've been keeping my eye out on craigslist for some good deals but haven't come across any yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts