Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SS rigid SIR9. I have been collecting parts to set it up as a 9 spd and have a set of Minute 100mm forks as well.

Eventually I would like a 9 speed bike with a suspension fork and a SS rigid as well.
The second frame I buy will be a ONE9 or an AIR9. I don't know if I should aim at having the alloy frame as the SS or the steel frame.

If I get a One9, it means I will have two bikes with an EBB even though one of them will be set up permanently as a 9 speed.

The other point that is troubling me is whether I'd like my SS to be lighter and more responsive (ONE9) or more forgiving (SIR9) I'll be using a carbon Niner fork either way.

BB flex on the SIR is not an issue with it a singlespeed, will it be if I set it up as a 9spd?

Another point is that the 9 speed will be used on up to five hour rides where the SS will generally be shorter rides.

Chime in with some advice please!

·
Registered
997 Posts
the SS should be the rigid one. the rigid one should get the more forgiving frame. steel is more forgiving than aluminum.

not that difficult IMO. just get the air9 and set it up as 9 speed hardtail.

or get the air9 carbon and remain flexible in any direction ...

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The air9 carbon would be ideal, but living in Australia means it's un-affordable.
What you've said above is logical, but I've read various reviews on the One 9 with people saying it's much more efficient as a SS than a steel Niner and they like it a lot more.
Oh well, whatever way I go there will be trade offs.
I guess I need to ride a scandium frame to help make up my mind. Niners are pretty scarce over here though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Been there. Had a One9. Sold it and bought a SIR. It has been ss and geared. Liked the One much better as a single speed. Much quicker. Climbs better. It just had snap. I did not find the SIR to be that much more comfortable to be honest. I just bought a AIR 9 because with a bad knee my geared bikes get more riding than the ss bike. Still have the SIR. It is going back to ss just because its easy. Love this AIR 9.

·
Bicycle rider
1,055 Posts
For what is is worth... I ride a rigid SIR SS and a geared AIR with front suspension. You might want to go this route as well.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I know Pacman runs a One rigid with a steel tubed fork or a carbon Niner Fork and an AIR 9 geared with a Fox 80mm fork, and both of them really "got it" as far as feeling snappy and uber efficient when you drop the hammer. It's the whole reason after riding his AIR 9 in a large that I bought one myself in an XL. Great characteristics on that bike.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Tough choice, but I would go with Air and One. I would not want the EBB for a dedicated 9sp, to keep things simple and remove any thought of squeaks and slips.

I agree with the comment that the One9 rides about the same as the Sir9. I had both and sold the Sir9. It was a little too flexy in the BB for me, even though I liked the kermit green color better than Tang.

Must be a personal pref thing, as I want a lot of BB stiffness on my SS. Oh, and SS can be really long rides too. ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've just gone the SS Sir and geared Air route. My rationale is that I like a steel singlespeed (for durability and smooth ride) for the daily night rides.... given my crashing habits, it's a bit precarious to ride a superlight scandium frame as an everyday thing.

When I need gears, it's on the sort of terrain where I'd appreciate a light bike (hence the Air).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.