Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am going to go riding at cottonwood tomorrow morning and I had a few questions. First, what is the best way to ride Deadhorse Loop? By best I mean easiest way up to the tank or funnest way down. How long should I plan to spend doing the whole loop (I would say that I am only at an average fitness level, thanks to med school).

Second, is it worth riding to the top of the ridge that overlooks Blue Diamond (I think it is south of the actual town)? I have seen the trail that goes up there from the south side of the ridge and I was wondering if the ride down is fun.

Finally, what is the "three mile smile"? I have heard people mention it but I don't know what or where it is.

Thanks guys, and sorry if these are stupid questions.
Matt

·
Registered
327 Posts
MattDickson said:
Hello everyone,

I am going to go riding at cottonwood tomorrow morning and I had a few questions. First, what is the best way to ride Deadhorse Loop? By best I mean easiest way up to the tank or funnest way down. How long should I plan to spend doing the whole loop (I would say that I am only at an average fitness level, thanks to med school).
I would ride the loop counter clockwise. That way, you get the pain of climbing Satan's escalator and the joy of coming down Red Valley. From the Latenight trailhead, 2h, from Blue Diamond, maybe 3h.

Second, is it worth riding to the top of the ridge that overlooks Blue Diamond (I think it is south of the actual town)? I have seen the trail that goes up there from the south side of the ridge and I was wondering if the ride down is fun.
The climb up and over the hurl from the Latenight side into Blue Diamond is worth it, but the climb isn't for the meek and the descent is relatively technical.

Finally, what is the "three mile smile"? I have heard people mention it but I don't know what or where it is.
See 'Red Valley' above. It is a long downhill on the deadhorse loop that has you smiling the whole way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.