Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short...we will be within 40 miles of the Virginia Creeper Trail(very tame I know) for my girls' nephews' birthday party this Saturday; we are going to take the bikes and head to VA Saturday afternoon for a full day of riding Sunday before heading back to Charlotte that evening. Any suggestions for accomodations near the trail or tips on where to start to maximize a 1 day 1 nighter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
can't really stay at the top, but you can stay in Damascus (I think), park at the lower trailhead and take a shuttle to the top and nearly coast all of the way down, or you can park at the trailhead and do an out an back ride of you desired length. Travel is kind of slow as there are a lot of people and children out riding, lots without helmets. Best tip is to slow down and enjoy the bridges and landscape.

·
Dawgwalker
209 Posts
Creeper Trail

Damascus or Abbington, google either and find accommodations. This time of year weather is very iffy and changeable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Creeper Trail

Hey,

There is a nice Quality Inn that I stay in when I go to Abingdon on business. There is also the Martha Washington Inn which your wife might like if she is into antiques and such. It is directly across the street from the Barter Theater. You could ride to the trail from the MW. I usually stay at the Quality and ride from Damascus end of the trail. Even though the trail is tame it is still a nice long ride and you may be able to find a shuttle to Whitetop even though it is winter. There is also some great singletrack in that area, go to the Virginia WV forums and you can find much more info. Have a great time.

Jim

·
Registered
845 Posts
I was just recently there in late October or early November on a near perfect day. We stayed at a Courtyard by Marriot in Bristol, TN which was approximately 10 minutes or less from the trail head in Abingdon, VA. The hotel was very nice and all the familiar chain restaurants were a walk from our room. No, we didn't eat at a quaint local restaurant but a big ole Outback steak hits the spot after 60 miles of pedaling. We started the ride like we always do in Abingdon and rode out about 30 miles to the second to last train depot before White Top Station and came back the same way for a total of 60 miles. In the past we always rode out to White Top which is a total of 70'ish miles. Incidentally I met my sister, brother-in-law and their kids along the trail who rode down from White Top Station. Their ride was much shorter and they all had a great time, adults and kids alike.

Here's picture from that day.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,604 Posts
rugger4 said:
Long story short...we will be within 40 miles of the Virginia Creeper Trail(very tame I know) for my girls' nephews' birthday party this Saturday; we are going to take the bikes and head to VA Saturday afternoon for a full day of riding Sunday before heading back to Charlotte that evening. Any suggestions for accomodations near the trail or tips on where to start to maximize a 1 day 1 nighter?
Weather looks to be either in the 40's or near 50 with rain possible. When you are coasting for 17 miles (if you do the Whitetop to Damascus section), the cold really gets to you.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I went with Shultz on the above day and as always had a great time on the creeper. You certainly can make it whatever you wish, easy with a shuttle or quite hard by doing the out and back.
Especially if you push the pace on the way to white top!

You'll need a bell for the downhill part as the casual "cyclist" (the ones texting, talking on phones etc...) are more akin to unpredictable moving chicanes. :thumbsup:

Photo stolen from Shultz...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know that Adventure Damascus runs shuttles year round, they are located across from the Dollar General in Damascus with a brightly colored store front. Call ahead to ensure of shuttle times because they only run every other hour this time of year 276-475-6262. A 29er on that trail is easy, just make sure to bring a spare tube because the trail near whitetop is pretty rough due to rains and there arent many shops that carry true 29er tubes in the area.
You are most definitely out of season for that trail so you will more than likely be the only person on your shuttle and on the trail but it is always fun to ride.
I go to school less than 20 miles away from Damascus and ride the trail quite often. Adventure is a top notch shop and the only one I trust to work on my bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
we stayed at a bed and breakfast in ?Covington (right across the parking lot from the train depot/museum) which was delightful. Our friends camped in ?Sleeping
Bear state park and found a bunch of single track. Imay have the name of the town, or of the park incorrect. Sorry.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,604 Posts
kwolicki said:
we stayed at a bed and breakfast in ?Covington (right across the parking lot from the train depot/museum) which was delightful. Our friends camped in ?Sleeping
Bear state park and found a bunch of single track. Imay have the name of the town, or of the park incorrect. Sorry.
Did you mean Abingdon instead of Covington? Abingdon it at one end of the VCT, right off of i81.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think it was Abingdon. It was pretty much mid point in the Va. Creeper trail, at the end of the downhill section ( I recall because we stopped and had too much lunch, then had a fit of a time finishing the last 16 miles or so, mostly at a gentle uphill grade.) I would have to look at a map to better define this for you.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,604 Posts
kwolicki said:
I don't think it was Abingdon. It was pretty much mid point in the Va. Creeper trail, at the end of the downhill section ( I recall because we stopped and had too much lunch, then had a fit of a time finishing the last 16 miles or so, mostly at a gentle uphill grade.) I would have to look at a map to better define this for you.
You started at Whitetop, you had lunch in Damascus, and finished the trail in Abingdon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.