Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· I dig trails!
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Kona peeps,

My riding bud rides an 05 Dawg Delux and wants to squeeze more speed out of the downhills, which I am guessing means more plush initial and intermediate travel. HIs riding skills are stellar.

His Dawg has: Fox Float R 130 and Fox RP3.

I come from the Iron Horse side of the fence so I have been chirping on about proper sag (essential for a DW link).

Is a certain sag range essential to open up the bike? What is your recs for sag on a Dawg?

My bud also lost about 10% of his body weight and has not yet changed his settings, I'm thinking this is contributing to his difficulties.

On the downs do you put the RP3 ProPedal setting to none? ( I would guess so).

Any other recommendations or tips?

I did a search and found some positive comments on Pushing the shock and moving to a coil. Comments?

I call his Dawg "The Tractor" as it reminds me of driving a Catapilar tractor that can drive over anything.

Thanks guys!

(attached is a pic of my bud riding the Dawg at NorthStar last year! Good times.)

Mr. P

Attachments

· Registered
365 Posts
Mr. P,
If he's lost weight and not adjusted his shock, that would be something to look at. Also, try the shock in the futher back mounting position of the two available on the bottom mount. It sets the shock to a more progressive position, giving smoother travel at the early stages of the travel, and harder at the bottom.

Thanks,
Joe.

· I dig trails!
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe - Kona said:
Also, try the shock in the futher back mounting position of the two available on the bottom mount. It sets the shock to a more progressive position, giving smoother travel at the early stages of the travel, and harder at the bottom.

Thanks,
Joe.
Very cool. That is why I love these forums, I never would have thought of that!

I'll pass it on.

Thanks Joe!

Mr. P

· Registered
2,472 Posts
to the first question im not sure but there is a possibility but no more than an air shock.to the second no just the correct spring weight for your bike leverage ratio and weight of rider http://www.mojo.co.uk/index1.htm they have a spring calculator just type in stroke of shock and rear wheel travel and riders weight.and to your third question get it set up properley and correct spring and you should have no problems.iknow the dhx 5 is expensive but i have a coiler with one fitted with pro pedal on it pedals like a xc bike with it of it swallows everything

· Registered
829 Posts
Mr.P said:
Thanks for the coil comments.

Would adding a coil w/o a platform negatively affect seated climbing?

Would one have to get a coil that is custom valved to the Dawg?

Any risk of bottoming with a coil?

Thanks!

Mr. P
I have tried the RP3 ..and had it Pushed .............hated this shock thats why i Pushed it, still hated it after pushing ....the company that pushed it for me (no names here) said the RP3 on a Dawg was a peice of wood and dose not suit the bike.(this will stir up a comment or 2)

Manitou coil 4 way..........really suple good small bump absorbtion great adjustabillity great big hit feel, the only downside the weight, they are heavey.

Manitou swinger air 4 way...nearley as good as the Mnitou coil IMO and i stress "IMO" others are bound to de-cry my observation's but i did own all 3 shocks...so draw your own conclision....i have stuck with the 4 way air ..if i go to a down hill course i will use my 4 way coil ....and i have sold my RP3 pushed shock.

PS i think this post is pertenant to your freind as i also own the 05 Dawg..... and love the bike.

I dont think you need a custom valved coil for the dawg just get a good one with plenty of adjustabillity built in.

I do believe the Dawg needs a platform, i also tried a non platform Vanilla RC and it bobed like mad.

If the coil is set up right with the right spring, and if you chose a Manitou 4 way i know they have bottom out adjustment.

These are my opinions and conclusions after much testing of different shocks they are only my opinions! please do not flame me (you know who you are, the Kona flamers)

· I dig trails!
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mzungo said:
I have tried the RP3 ..and had it Pushed ............
Thanks for taking the time to detail your experiences! It's really helpful. :thumbsup:

Surprising about the Swinger being plush, but maybe it is a good fit for the linkage design.

Your a lucky guy to be able to switch shocks depending on riding :cool:

Mr. P

· I dig trails!
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
konut said:
iknow the dhx 5 is expensive but i have a coiler with one fitted with pro pedal on it pedals like a xc bike with it of it swallows everything...
That sounds very nice... a Dawg with a DHX or swinger coil... It would be rockin on the downhills and drops! :band:

Hmmm, now I just have to do some convincing... :devil:

Thanks for all the help!

Mr. P

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.