Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
one more time
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode my blur classic for the first time in a while today - while checking it over I noticed some paint flaking off around the upper rear shock mount...

Photos are attached....

Should i be worried about this? doesnt seem to be anything buy cosmetic but i guess im concerned the uncovered metal would start to corrode???

Any tips on how to treat this? I am planning to remove the shock and give it a closer look...

Cheers
B

Attachments

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
benzology said:
Unfortunately Ive run out of pink - will spanish red do the same job?
No... that won't due. It has me smelling soggy tacos for some reason.

What really shocks me is that you let yourself run out of pink. Just do the fingers or the toes, and not both. It will last longer.

;)

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
just a bad spot of paint, looks like some bad adheasion originally. notice the lumpy mottled areas around the bolt head. then when the bolt twists it flakes off instead of wearing off evenly. I wouldnt worry about corosian , you can prob. get touch up paint if it bothers you

·
Registered
209 Posts
My friend's Classic Blur had paint peeling problems too. He removed an old worn sticker and along came the paint. Same color too.

Yeah, pink nail polish would certainly make it more macho. Make sure it's the one with silver sparkle flakes.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
esquire said:
Just for the heck of it, take the shock out of that mount and make sure its aligned properly. Continued stress on that part of the mount could have that effect. Could also simply be bad powder...
that pic doesnt look like powder coat to me, and btw what is that piece made of? it looks galvanized, if so it needs a special primer

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I know...

dan0 said:
that pic doesnt look like powder coat to me, and btw what is that piece made of? it looks galvanized, if so it needs a special primer
I know it doesn't look like it, but a Blur Classic, 5th Element rear shock (probably first year), unless someone had it stripped and painted, its PC. I don't remember when or the last time that they painted bikes. That color looks like the old "metallic blue". Take a look at the attached pictures, they are of my SC Bullit from about the same time that the Blur was introduced.

Attachments

·
one more time
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct esquire - good spotting....It is an early Blur, factory PC - I know as Ive had it from new in 2003.

Ive been riding my nomad for about 18 months and unfortunately this rig gets used very seldomly. Ive been meaning to use it more often but at the moment it gets used by mates when they swing by here in Singapore.

Interesting and insightful comments regarding the mounting of the shock - I removed it yesterday and the lower mounting hardware was in crap condition - the plastic bushing had collapsed and the shock was in fact not seated square....

I also noticed that the area just forward of the shock mounts on the frame has a large area of bubbled paint.... esquire, have you seen this before due to a shock being out of alignment?

Anyway Im taking it into the dealer tomorrow to get it thoroughly checked over.

In the meantime any advice or guidance would be appreciated....

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yes and No...

I haven't seen it to the extent that yours has flaked (probably due to stress), but I have seen unusual wear because of mis-alignment. The mis-alignment is kind of rare, but it seems to be due to the rear holes being drilled a fraction of an inch off (fore or aft), and therefore, the front has to be manually adjusted to make sure the holes line up. SC allows for a certain amount (I believe up to 1/8") for the shock to be off (left or right when the rear bolt is tight), but anything over that, we've sent frames back before. We missed one on a Nomad, that had to be sent back to us, and we have caught another one while swapping out a shock.

Hopefully you can get yours cleared up. I do know that the older bushings on the 5th Element Air shocks were a bit weak, as we used to have to replace those every 8-12 months on some bikes. The first ones were actually plastic, but I think they eventually switched to metal. Good luck with the bike.

·
one more time
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Esquire - cheers for the feeback...

Yes the internal bushings are in fact plastic!!

Im dropping the frame off today - the guys at my LBS have the hardware kits for the 5th element so Ive asked them to check the frame and fit the new bushing etc for me.

Will update later...

·
one more time
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK - thanks for the guidance esquire...

Took the Blur in for a full service - the boys at my LBS serviced the bearings and replaced the bushings on the shock, and also the pivot axle which was scribed due to the fact it was not seated properly.

Also got the fox fork fully serviced as its been a while.

Seems to be ok but the 5th element doesnt feel quite right - fork feels superb but the 5th seems to be a bit sticky... not smooth like in the early days!!

Im thinking of replacing it with a fox RP23 as ive heard it is a good match - do you have any experience with that set up?

Any advice here would be appreciated...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yes, we do...

I'm personally not a fan of the platform shocks with the VPP linkage. I think the bike's linkage does a fine job of handling pedal induced feedback and really doesn't need another hand in the cookie jar, so to speak. You can save yourself some money and get the simple Fox R, or try something else without a platform, but with compression and rebound dampening so you can adjust the sag to the proper amount. I just don't see the need for a harsh platform, or any platform at all, with that design.

Best bet would be to try a blur with an RP23, to see what it feels like for you. But, take the time to get the sag properly set, and go from there. Some people like it with an RP23, I personally don't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts