Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation, I worked in an office and by 2006 I had become extremely overweight. So, I went on an extremely low carb diet and went from 242 lbs. to 175 lbs. in about 3 months. The weight came off very fast and that's what kept me going after the first couple of terrible weeks. I did no exercise at all btw and this was before I started to mountain bike.
Well fast forward to now...I am almost back at 240 lbs. and I have my bike hooked up to a trainer in my basement but haven't biked in a few months. I want to lose all that weight again BUT I'd rather do it without sacrificing any muscle mass that I may have and I want to do it without the lethargy and other problems that came last time with the extremely low carb thing.
I have a Spinervals 30 minute dvd but it's just been once excuse after another for me to go down there and work out. I want to lose weight pretty fast because that's one thing that will keep me motivated. I was thinking about eating a packet of oatmeal before I go on the trainer in the morning...lunch I would have a salad with meat of some sort and then for my dinner I would have a protein shake....Does that sound adequate? Thanks in advance!

·
turtles make me hot
11,665 Posts
I gained weight almost exactly the same way. Commuting sucks. Normal figting weight for me is around 225. I got up to 288. The biggest part of the problem for me was the cafeteria at my job. Now that I stay out of there, I've dropped 25 pounds.
I really can't get a proper ride during the winter except on weekends. I have a jumprope in my office and I take stairs whenever possible.
Cutting the volume of food taken in is also huge. I have a Mojo Bar and coffee for breakfast, an apple at around ten am, pretty much whatever I want for lunch and then I keep dinner kinda light since I'm not going for any meaningful rides to work it off.
The last health kick I went on, I was able to bike daily, as it was in the spring. I went down to 209 from 275 inside of a couple of months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Advice? Don't do the low carb thing again; ever. The other side effect of the low carb thing (other than the lethargy and loss of muscle since your body is eating itself) is that you rebounded right back to where you were when you started - don't overlook that. It is quite common to go even higher than you were when you started on this type of diet.
Weight loss is simple - eat less calories than you burn. Exercise burns calories, the more you exercise the more you can eat and still lose weight. Research reccomeded daily coloric intakes, there are about 5 calculations you can do to find out what you should eat for your age, weight and activity levels, then track what you eat using an online or downloadable software program - making sure you reach that daily goal, regardless of what you are eating. It takes me about 5 minutes to enter all my food and I know if I have reached my goal for the day instantly. You will see results, but make sure your goals are in a healthy range (2lbs a week max; about 7000 calories/week) so that you can sustain the loss. Short term results are what everyone wants in this 'instant gratification' culture we live in, but sustainability after your goal is what will generate the maximum amount of happiness :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's so tempting to do the low carb thing again since I know the weight will just fall off and I don't have to do any sort of exercise at all but I'm going to prove to myself that I can lose weight without resorting to extreme diets. I started a new job today and I had to get up early so I used that as an excuse not to go downstairs on the trainer...I was going to punish myself by sleeping on the basement floor in a sleeping bag so I would constantly see the bike but perhaps that's a little too extreme and disturbing haha. Thanks for the words guys...Round is a shape too :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.