Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am a little nervous, I have a big race comming up next weekand (not july 4th weekand), I have been training all year, but the last week and a half have been super sloppy, I am talking a little next to know riding. Any tips, on how to get tune up for the big race one week before?

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Fitness

goat said:
Hey guys,
I am a little nervous, I have a big race comming up next weekand (not july 4th weekand), I have been training all year, but the last week and a half have been super sloppy, I am talking a little next to know riding. Any tips, on how to get tune up for the big race one week before?
It takes 2 weeks to see any gains from training. The only things you can do now are try to recover, keep the fitness you have, and maybe work on your handling a bit. Typically I find I am sloppy when I am not rested or stressed out. I'd rest for a few days, and then focus on some short quick rides.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
you can't make any gains in fitness, but you can help maximize what you have by tapering a peaking. get some rest, shorter rides with some hard efforts. make sure you stay hydrated.

do a search for peaking, that is all you can do now, but it does make a big difference in performance.

the worst thing you could do is try to overcompensate and try to "add" some fitness, not going to work.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The posts above tell you what you need to do. The classic way to taper is to reduce your volume, but keep the intensity the same. If you try to improve in a week, it is only going to hurt you.

If you've been training well and then the last two weeks things have gotten messed up, I wouldn't get too worried. Just get back on the bike do a nice taper--some easy riding with a few hard, but shorter efforts in there. You may find the forced time off actually helped you. Elite endurance racing is filled with stories of athletes suffering injury before major races, having to rest in the weeks before the event instead of training, and then putting in an outstanding performance in the race.

A great example is Joan Benoit Samuelson in the 1984 Olympic Marathon. She got hurt, her training got all screwed up, she was forced to rest, and then she went out and won the gold medal with a career performance.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys for all the help. Yeah, training has been great all season with the exception of the last 2 weeks or so. Hopefully things wont go to bad. I think the rest may have done me some good anyway. By the way, the race I am going to is Downiville. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
you will probably do much better than you think, because most of us don't taper enough anyway. i have gone through a similar situation, and I felt really strong and fresh on race day. just be positive and it don't get temped to do too much at this point.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
If you are smart you won't try to make up for the lost time.

What you can do is, though, work on skills and diet and rest. Sharpening these skills is very valuable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.