Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using Michelin for several years. Wildgripper Light S, and now DryXC2. They are pretty light, 475-485 grams (not UST, but old school tubes). 2.0 size.

But, they are soft gray compound, and I've wore through the back way quicker than the older black versions.

So, I thought I'd try some other brand. I hear about Schwalbe, Nokian, but don't know which one to use.

I live in the midwest, so I want a "generic" all-around XC race tire that I can leave on year round. But I don't want to go over the weight of what I got, and I don't want any gray tires any more, I like them black I think.

Any suggestions?
 

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
Been using Michelin for several years. Wildgripper Light S, and now DryXC2. They are pretty light, 475-485 grams (not UST, but old school tubes). 2.0 size.

But, they are soft gray compound, and I've wore through the back way quicker than the older black versions.

So, I thought I'd try some other brand. I hear about Schwalbe, Nokian, but don't know which one to use.

I live in the midwest, so I want a "generic" all-around XC race tire that I can leave on year round. But I don't want to go over the weight of what I got, and I don't want any gray tires any more, I like them black I think.

Any suggestions?
The Racing Ralph or if you need a tad more bite thr Nobby Nic. The NN is the BEST all-round tire IMO and the Hutchinson Spider for every condtion.
 

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The racing ralph has a similar tread to the DryXC2 that I'm used to. Kind of tight low knobs. Those seem to fit me well which is why I stayed with that tread design for 5 years now.

Maybe I will grab a set and try them out.
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,924 Posts
Kenda Karma 2.0s in the kevlar foldable bead with the L3R and Stick-E compound. Its L3R down the center knobs and Stick-E on the edge knobs. They claim 480g but that last 9 I weighed were in the 410-430g range.
 

·
SUBLIM8er
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
DeeEight said:
Kenda Karma 2.0s in the kevlar foldable bead with the L3R and Stick-E compound. Its L3R down the center knobs and Stick-E on the edge knobs. They claim 480g but that last 9 I weighed were in the 410-430g range.
I've been thinking about those. Are they a real 2.0 or more like a 1.8?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
I'm running a 2.4 Racing Ralph on the front of my bike.....602 grams plus Stans. The claimed weight is 590 so you might find lighter if you can pick through the pile.
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,924 Posts
Axis II said:
I've been thinking about those. Are they a real 2.0 or more like a 1.8?
tread width was 50mm, so 0.8mm short of 2.0 but apparently kenda casings stretch after a bit of usage.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
DeeEight said:
Kenda Karma 2.0s in the kevlar foldable bead with the L3R and Stick-E compound. Its L3R down the center knobs and Stick-E on the edge knobs. They claim 480g but that last 9 I weighed were in the 410-430g range.
agree....Kenda Karmas are fantastic tires. having said that, i have yet to try nobby nics and i do love my AM Schwalbe tires so i bet they are good too...
 

·
No longer 26
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
4212darren said:
I'm running a 2.4 Racing Ralph on the front of my bike.....602 grams plus Stans. The claimed weight is 590 so you might find lighter if you can pick through the pile.
I loved the 2.4 RR front 2.25 RR rear combo on my GF Sugar. 2.4 NN front for looser conditions. Great FAST combos here in the midwest.

G
 

·
Go faster!
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Hutchinson Python are fantastic tyres. Very fast tyres and good grip in the climbs! Specialized are also good.
I don’t know why everybody uses schwalbe tyres. This tyres just shred apart in 2 or 3 rides and wont stand any little sharp rock.

Its the tyres that keeps you in the ground and in control so give it something good and durable.
 

·
No good in rock gardens..
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
Tioga's Red Phoenix 1.9 is around 470 grams. the 2.0 is a little more, but is like some maker's 2.1's size wise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
sergio_pt said:
Hutchinson Python are fantastic tyres. Very fast tyres and good grip in the climbs! Specialized are also good.
I don't know why everybody uses schwalbe tyres. This tyres just shred apart in 2 or 3 rides and wont stand any little sharp rock.

Its the tyres that keeps you in the ground and in control so give it something good and durable.
The NN doesn't roll as fast as the Python, but it is more stable cornering... The Python is also fragile on rocks... The perfect tire is yet to be made...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top