Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a steel, geared, hardtail frame. Which frames are noodles and which ones aren't? Compare what you have ridden. I'm especially interested in hearing from the big guys out there. Of the 29ers you have ridden, which were stiffer and which were noodles?

My new XXIX+G is great in the fit and geometry department. The problem is that I think it is just too flexy for my clyde-ness. The front triangle twists on climbs and the frame actually tucks under braking, and not just hard braking. I was maneuvering through a few switch backs last night and the frame flex was making the bike really hard to track. Compliance in the stays makes a smooth ride, but shouldn't the front triangle be pretty rigid?

How do the Inbred and the El Mariachi compare? Am I going to have to break down and get an aluminum frame like the Ventana Padrino? My last mtb was a Surly Instigator. I know it's a different class of bike but I never saw any front triangle flex in that frame and it still had that nice, compliant steel ride.

So, let's hear your comparisons; who's flexy and who's not?

·
Purveyor of Fine 29erness
626 Posts
Having owned and extensively ridden all but the EMD, I can totally recommend the Niner SIR 9.
I'm riding mine as a rigid singlespeed. It feels an awful lot like my RIP9 in certain situations, right up until I start taking lines that you should really save for your full squishy bike. It's buttery smooth on the trail, and quick in the tight and twisty New England singletrack it plays on.
I'm 6'2, and about 230 with gear.

Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I LOVE my Ventana El Comandante (kissing cousing to the El Padrino). It is by far the best technical riding 29er I have had to date and rides awesome. That is compared to

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Forrestf said:
I want a steel, geared, hardtail frame. Which frames are noodles and which ones aren't? Compare what you have ridden. I'm especially interested in hearing from the big guys out there. Of the 29ers you have ridden, which were stiffer and which were noodles?

My new XXIX+G is great in the fit and geometry department. The problem is that I think it is just too flexy for my clyde-ness. The front triangle twists on climbs and the frame actually tucks under braking, and not just hard braking. I was maneuvering through a few switch backs last night and the frame flex was making the bike really hard to track. Compliance in the stays makes a smooth ride, but shouldn't the front triangle be pretty rigid?

How do the Inbred and the El Mariachi compare? Am I going to have to break down and get an aluminum frame like the Ventana Padrino? My last mtb was a Surly Instigator. I know it's a different class of bike but I never saw any front triangle flex in that frame and it still had that nice, compliant steel ride.

So, let's hear your comparisons; who's flexy and who's not?
Forrestf ...I'm going to delete this tread because Foshiz mucked it up...please re-post your enquiry again in a new post.

FoShizzle... go talk to James about that damn frame... :D :D :D :D

Sorry everyone...thread closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.