Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homers,

I'm looking for a fork for a female, she's about 135#. She rides an old K2 Razorback, which has Turner lineage so that's why I'm posting here. That and most of the other boards pretty much blow. But the old Noleen Crosslink she rides isn't much as far as a front shock goes these days.

Anyway, I'm looking in the $2-300 range. Her bike has a pretty short head tube so I was looking at one of those pre-cut OEM Vanilla 100's on Ebay, anything to watch out with those? Any other suggestions? Maybe a Minute? I don't know, I really don't shop the XC side of things. BTW, I can go used too.

I don't think she'll need anything more than 100mm so that's the travel range I'm looking at. I was thinking something plush, relatively light and easy to maintain. She has the stones to follow me -- not that I'm all that great -- but I'd like to reward her with a better performing fork so hopefully she'll have more fun on the trails.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
AK Chris said:
Homers,

I'm looking for a fork for a female, she's about 135#. She rides an old K2 Razorback, which has Turner lineage so that's why I'm posting here. That and most of the other boards pretty much blow. But the old Noleen Crosslink she rides isn't much as far as a front shock goes these days.

Anyway, I'm looking in the $2-300 range. Her bike has a pretty short head tube so I was looking at one of those pre-cut OEM Vanilla 100's on Ebay, anything to watch out with those? Any other suggestions? Maybe a Minute? I don't know, I really don't shop the XC side of things. BTW, I can go used too.

I don't think she'll need anything more than 100mm so that's the travel range I'm looking at. I was thinking something plush, relatively light and easy to maintain. She has the stones to follow me -- not that I'm all that great -- but I'd like to reward her with a better performing fork so hopefully she'll have more fun on the trails.

Thanks in advance.
yo AK,

greenfishsports.com has the '03 manitou black elite on sale for $189 (no bosses).
The fork is pretty smooth, weighs about 4 lbs. and is adjustable from 80-100 m. They also have the 04 black super air for $259, 100 mm (w/ bosses) and is pretty light at 3.5 lbs.

I have also seen the marzocchi marathons kicking around at $275 at a couple different online retailers. Sorry i don't remember which ones. The Marathon (s & sl) comes in a spring and air version. The air fork is quite nice for xc, and is light, but requires putting air in the positive and negative chambers. If she is cool with that, then it could be a great fork. The spring version has eta and adjustable rebound and is much more set and forget.

My GF rides cross country and some ski lift stuff, but nothing too aggressive. She has the manitou black and seems to like it a lot. Good luck on your search.....

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
My wife's Trek Fuel WSD 90 came stock with a Manitou Black Elite "Diva". It's a coil fork but the "Diva" signifies a women specific light weight spring. It's been great for her and no maintenance issues so far after two years. You ought to be able to find one pretty cheap based on the prices of the Blacks.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Regardless of where you get it, I second the use of Manitou Blacks for lighter riders based on my experiences with my customers at the shop where I work. If you were looking for more of a trail fork, I was going to suggest a Vanilla R, but given the shorter (<5") travel nature of your application, I think the black will have the best balance of weight/performance/affordability.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
AK Chris- as soon as I get my Burner built(next few weeks) I'll have an '04 Vanilla RLC up for sale, it's in 125 mode and has a heavy spring so you will need a new spring but I'll sell it cheap. I've been riding it for the last year and it works fine, it does have some scratches on one leg if that matters to you.

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
As for the Marzocchi Marathon (coil) mentioned earlier, the $275 ones are all 120mm, which is too long for that K2. I myself have been searching for the 105mm Marathon (new) for my new Burner build, and I'm not finding them at any price. So I too am looking at the Vanilla....the only downside I've heard about the the OEM ones is that they don't come with the extra springs...and the R version is missing the lockout (L) and low-speed compression adjustment (C). Maybe that stuff won't matter anyway?

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, looks like there's lots of options. Don't mind if there's no lockout or compression, other than rebound she probably won't need much more.

I'm on the fence as far as air or coil, but definitely nothing more than the 105mm Marathon, the taller A-C of the 120/125mm forks will be overkill for the Razorback and it might create standover issues. I think the Crosslink is about 470mm so I want to keep it right around that.

The Reba air is a nice option, as are the Manitou blacks. Does Fox have springs light enough for her to get full travel out of the Vanilla? Once again thanks for all the suggestions.

·
outclassed by his bike
365 Posts
Used Float

AK Chris said:
I don't think she'll need anything more than 100mm so that's the travel range I'm looking at. I was thinking something plush, relatively light and easy to maintain.
That certainly describes my 100mm Float perfectly. I weigh about 130 and it works great for me. The price is obviously the issue. But I would guess there are folks out there right about now upgrading from hardtails or short travel bikes to long travel frames that require longer legs, and who therefore are selling their 80mm and 100mm forks. So maybe you could pick up a lightly used one for a couple hundred bucks???

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
AK Chris said:
Does Fox have springs light enough for her to get full travel out of the Vanilla? Once again thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm not sure, but if the lightest spring is not giving full travel, you can always remove the assist spring that's on the damper.

_MK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.