Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After trying out several new full suspension bike at Rays this weekend I decided to look for budget 5" fs frame instead of putting money into my hardrock sport. I ended bidding on a good condition ram on ebay and winning. It doesnt came with a rear shock so I am looking for advice. The auction lists 7.875x2.0 as the shock size, is this correct? I would like something cheaper since I dont have too much money to spend on another bike and most of this one will be either spare parts or ones I purchased with the intent to put one my other bike. What are my options for the shock? The fork will be an 05 Marzocchi All Mountain 3 with 130mm travel. Also what is the BB size?

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
97 ATX 2.0L said:
After trying out several new full suspension bike at Rays this weekend I decided to look for budget 5" fs frame instead of putting money into my hardrock sport. I ended bidding on a good condition ram on ebay and winning. It doesnt came with a rear shock so I am looking for advice. The auction lists 7.875x2.0 as the shock size, is this correct? I would like something cheaper since I dont have too much money to spend on another bike and most of this one will be either spare parts or ones I purchased with the intent to put one my other bike. What are my options for the shock? The fork will be an 05 Marzocchi All Mountain 3 with 130mm travel. Also what is the BB size?
The shock is a 7.875X2.0, I'd suggest a manitou swinger 4way. You can find them at Santa Cruz's website for 99 bucks right now. Hardware for it is another issue. Raleigh was less than helpful in providing me the correct size, a call to Manitou Tech support would be better.

The BB is 68x113.

I strongly suggest a 150mm fork on that bike. I had a 130mm Sherman Firefly on mine for awhile, but I felt the headangle was too steep. Now I have an 05 Sherman Flick and it's perfect, and am actually considering a new Nixon with 160mm.

You're gonna be super stoked on this bike! Just keep an eye on the replacable dropout hardware, they tend to work loose at first.

It also requires an INTERNAL headset. I use a Cane Creek ZS-6 in mine. WTB and FSA both make one as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I posted a thread in the shock forum and someone gave me the link to the manitou swinger on the Santa Cruz web site, http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_72&products_id=398 Its only the 3-way air shock which should work fine I dont plan on doing anythig huge on this bike. The frame included the headset I just need to take it too the LBS since I dont have a press. Wheels will be Rhynolytes/deore hubs which are heavy but should hold up.I already have the fork so Hopefully it wont be too short Marzochis are usually on the longer side so I dont know. I will probably take the bb5 off the front of my P1 for it and get a bb7 for the front. We have a spare set of bmx cranks that should fit so I will probably just have it 1x8 for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.