Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to pull the trigger on an 01 ASR. I'm wondering what the major changes were and when from the 01's to the 02, 03, and 04's? I know about the differences from 03 to 04, I just don't know the earlier stuff. What was the dealeo with the 02's and 03's relative to the 01's?

Cheers,

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
not too good with model years, but here's a shot....

douggr73 said:
About to pull the trigger on an 01 ASR. I'm wondering what the major changes were and when from the 01's to the 02, 03, and 04's? I know about the differences from 03 to 04, I just don't know the earlier stuff. What was the dealeo with the 02's and 03's relative to the 01's?

Cheers,
Construction I think is the major difference. Anybody can correct me on any of this information, because my mind is fading, but here it goes. Frame weight: 5.1 lbs

changes from 03 to 04: carbon flex pivot instead of titanium. tubeset changed very little

changes from 03 to 02: addition of titanium pivot instead of koko styled bushing. Head angle .5 degree slacker to accomodate 100mm forks. Leverage ratio on the shock changed.

changes from 02 to 01: tubeset changed dramatically, I think it went to an easton tubeset in 02, versus A1 tubing in 01. Frame weight: 5.6 lbs

One thing I do know is that the ASR was introduced in late 01, and the company was sold from Volant in October 2001 as well. 01 ASRs are fairly rare, never ridden one, so I couldn't tell you how it rides.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hmm, I thought the tubing was always Easton. I'm pretty sure the 01s had turcite bushings in the main pivot instead of bearings which were introduced in 02. The 01 is a great bike, but be aware that it's more on par with an 03 Koko than an 03 AS-R and should be priced accordingly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cRock said:
Hmm, I thought the tubing was always Easton. I'm pretty sure the 01s had turcite bushings in the main pivot instead of bearings which were introduced in 02. The 01 is a great bike, but be aware that it's more on par with an 03 Koko than an 03 AS-R and should be priced accordingly.
Cool, thanks guys. It would seem to me that with the exception of the top tube difference and where they are made, the 02 Koko and 01 ASR are pretty much the same bike then. Thanks again

Can one delete a thread on these forums? (I goofed when I threw it up in which bike to buy)

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
douggr73 said:
Cool, thanks guys. It would seem to me that with the exception of the top tube difference and where they are made, the 02 Koko and 01 ASR are pretty much the same bike then. Thanks again

Can one delete a thread on these forums? (I goofed when I threw it up in which bike to buy)
Another big difference is the knuckle where the top tube bends and the shock connects. I think they changed it for '03, It has about 1/2 the amount of material in it of the 01.

Other changes - Rear shock, disc brake cable routing for rear wheel (02 or 03, but NOT on 01).

The Kokopelli might look similar, but I'm betting there are more reasons than the top tube that jack the price up to twice as much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.