·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
pulser said:
I need a new pack for long rides were I need to take extra layers and stuff with me. I have a Deuter race X air that I love but its too small. I was going to get a bigger one but I don't like the bigger ones that much. So I'm looking at Osprey. Any one get one of the new packs yet?

http://www.rei.com/product/797729
Check out the video
http://www.rei.com/product/796750
or one of the older packs.
http://www.rei.com/product/748228
Osprey's are cool, but that pack (Raptor 14) is shown to have 850 Cu in capacity, which isn't going to be much larger (if at all), than your Deuter, is it?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smilinsteve said:
Osprey's are cool, but that pack (Raptor 14) is shown to have 850 Cu in capacity, which isn't going to be much larger (if at all), than your Deuter, is it?
No there is a bigger one but REI doesn't have it on the website.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
I just picked up a MULE NV for $66 delivered, see thread in the deals forum if interested

·
wannabee
1,134 Posts
I have the Raptor 18 and it's OK. You could carry a couple light layers in it. Well made for sure. The new Nalgene bladder it comes with is funky. You can't detach the tube on it like other Nalgene bladders. Makes it hard to dry out. Overall a nice item IMO.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
giantbikeboy said:
I have the Raptor 18 and it's OK. You could carry a couple light layers in it. Well made for sure. The new Nalgene bladder it comes with is funky. You can't detach the tube on it like other Nalgene bladders. Makes it hard to dry out. Overall a nice item IMO.
I wondered about that. I have to stop by REI and look at them. I usually put camelback bladders in my packs.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
pulser said:
I wondered about that. I have to stop by REI and look at them. I usually put camelback bladders in my packs.
There are way better bladders than Camelback IMO. I like a bladder with a removable tube. Plus, I hate the cap closure on Camelbacks. They are hard to turn and hurt your hands.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
smilinsteve said:
Now this is a good bladder:
Opens wide open.
Simple fold over closure
Removable tube
Comes with elbow and cap that Camelback charges extra for
Looks nice I have the one that came with my Deuter too just never used it. I haven't had any problems with the Camelback bladders but I'm open to try new things. I would be really interested to know if the magnet on the Osprey for the tube keeps it in place when your really flying down a rocky trail.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Walmart. 24.99 Coleman Max. Has everything you need. Good bite valve, storage, etc. At first I thought the bladder fill system was weird but I now prefer it! Ice is a snap, cleaning takes a new meaning to simple. Army green.

·
wannabee
1,134 Posts

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
pulser said:
Looks nice I have the one that came with my Deuter too just never used it. I haven't had any problems with the Camelback bladders but I'm open to try new things. I would be really interested to know if the magnet on the Osprey for the tube keeps it in place when your really flying down a rocky trail.
The deuter bladders are great. No taste and easy to clean with that big opening and super smooth surface. They also come with the shut off valve and a bite valve cover. If they had a removable tube it would be perfect.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts