Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I'll do it next time!
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very good 9speed XT cassette has worn out and was thinking of going for a shimano dura-ace to save some weight. I have seen a good price for one but it is 12-23 ratio and my XT is11-32 i think. My chainset is XT 22/32/44. I never use the inner chainring on my cranks but i suppose i would have to with the 12-23 ratio.

Would this be a good move? Any other alternatives?

Could i change to a bigger sprocket at the back, say 26-28? I have seen that shimano does the dura-ace in 12-25 and 12-28 but the price shoots up!

Any help or advice would be great

Cheers

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Tim Arnold said:
My very good 9speed XT cassette has worn out and was thinking of going for a shimano dura-ace to save some weight. I have seen a good price for one but it is 12-23 ratio and my XT is11-32 i think. My chainset is XT 22/32/44. I never use the inner chainring on my cranks but i suppose i would have to with the 12-23 ratio.

Would this be a good move? Any other alternatives?

Could i change to a bigger sprocket at the back, say 26-28? I have seen that shimano does the dura-ace in 12-25 and 12-28 but the price shoots up!

Any help or advice would be great

Cheers
Just remember that such a small cassette will lead to A LOT of front shifts That's not what you want.

It seems you would be the ideal candidate for 2x9 cranksets with chainring sizes like 27/42. This makes much more sense than such a small road cassette.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.