Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short, I have finally destroyed my 2001 SUPER 8 and I do not think I will be able to fix it this time.

Need some suggestion on a new downhill/freeride type bike frame to buy. I am looking for a strong bike frame that will last for at least 2-3 years. I am an aggressive rider, 5’7” and weight 225lbs (235 or so with downhill gear).

I am not real concerned about the weight of the bike (my SUPER 8 was almost 60 lbs) but want something that will not break within the first few rides.

I was looking at Banshee, Brooklyn Machine Works and Iron Horse bikes. Each manufacturing will say that there bike is the strongest. I need some opinions on what to buy next.

Let me know bike MFG, bike model, even size. I was running a small frame size on my SUPER 8.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Banshee has a 10 year warranty, no questions asked. So in the highly unlikely event that you'll break those heavily gusseted, internally refinforced frames, they'll replace it hassle free.

Brooklyn Machine Works has an awesome design, and it's all cromo. If you crack it, you can just lay a spot weld on and keep riding it.

Specialized... Eh... Way overpriced. You get better quality with Banshee and BMW.

Iron Horse... Perdy... But they don't compare to BMW or Banshee.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i'm on my 3rd season with my Banshee Scream rides like a cadi the bike can go bigger than your body can and are very well priced for the bike you get. also the 10 year no questions asked, i seriously doubt any of us will still be on the same bikes we are on now in 10 yrs so it not having a lifetime warranty doesn't hurt it in the slightest way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RyBread said:
do you want to do more dh racing, or are you looking to huck yourself off of cliffs?
RyBread,

I do both. Will visit the mountains about 10 ~ 15 time per season running an average of 10 runs per visit. Also I do group freerides in out local woods 4 times per week. Which ever bike I get, it will be abused.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
DH racers typically don't make good FR bikes, and FR bikes typically don't make good DH racers. But you can find a median. If you're looking for the ultimate FR rig that can do the occasional race the Banshee Scream and Chapparal are pretty damn close.

·
Registered
217 Posts
yeah. the sessions are amazing, but they dont sound like what you want. if you want a tank bike that rolls over anything and is bombproof, there are tons of options, but id go with the banshee.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
if you're not worried about weight at all then you can look into the Weapon X from Versus Cycle I always wanted to know if these things were any good, they seem really tough, but they are definitly heavy huckers. But you can get them direct from the company so they are less expensive than other frames in the same class (banshee scream, intense m3, SC V10)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.