Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First things first: I'm very rural, out in the sticks. There is no LBS in my area so everything has to be ordered online and I have to do it myself.
I read MTBR when I can, but I think this is one of my first posts.

I'm not familiar with all the technical aspects of biking (certainly not modern biking). I'm mostly a fair weather rider. Used to ride alot when I was younger, but getting older now. I have a Kona HeiHei 29 and want to pull a trailer. But the mount needs a longer skewer. How do I know what skewer to order? I don't see lengths listed on any of the websites.

I want to have two sets of wheels. Road and trail. So I need to buy another set of wheels. Clearly I need 29" wheels but how do I know what else I need to know? Are 29" wheelsets universal? What I'm concerned with is the width between the mount. Anything else?

I also need to buy an extra gear that goes on the back and extra disk brake disk. Again how are these things identified? How do I know what to buy? Anything else I'll need to buy?

I tried to find parts on the Kona website and could not find anything. The owners manual didn't have anything either.

The Fox shock for the rear suspension seems to be leaking. There is an 0-ring just sitting at the bottom of the piston at the mounting bolt. The piston seems to have a lot of grease/oil. I only have a few thousand miles on it & I'm very surprised to see this. I'll call Fox to see what they say, but does anyone know if this is a common problem?

How are the brakes adjusted? They still stop fine, but I have to pull the levers all the way back.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Where to begin on this?

We have to know more about the rear axle skewer situation. You could have a regular quick release. You could have a through axle. I don't know what the set up is on a Hei-Hei. Regardless, this bike is not a great candidate for pulling a trailer.

Not all 29er wheels are the same. There are different axle configurations , different materials, rim and hub widths to consider.

The gear on the rear wheel is called a cassette.

A brake disc is called a rotor.

Stop looking at Kona's website for parts. A few alternatives-
www.universalcycles.com
www.pricepoint.com
www.chainreactioncycles.com
www.jensonusa.com
www.competitivecyclist.com

The o-ring on your Fox shock is a travel indicator. It's there to show how much travel you are using. It also helps in setting up sag. It is not a seal. You shock is probably just seeping out a little Fox Fluid. It's not uncommon. Look up Fox's website for service intervals on that shock.

Most hydraulic disc brakes have no adjustment other than lever reach. Mechanical disc brakes usually have a thumbscrew at the lever to accommodate pad wear. If you are pulling the lever in a long way, that's an indication that your brake pads are wearing thin. Pad replacement time is a good time to bleed the brakes and replace rotors (they wear out also).

Living in a rural area with no LBS support, you need to buy a good set of tools and get familiar with doing your own bike work. ;)

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
There many sites that tell/show you how to adjust/replace parts,Park Tools,Sheldon Brown,and Youtube. Your rear wheel is most likely a 135mm hub with a quick release skewer. Rotor are either 6 bolt or Shimano center lock,rotors come in sizes 160 180/5 or 205 mm. The trailer should come with skewer that you need,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. The trailer was bought at a garage sale so no skewer. :( I have found some on Amazon, I'll have to figure out which will work. I measured the frame outside to outside and got 160mm, and the inside to inside is 135mm. The longest skewer I can find on amazon is 145mm. Is that inside or outside measurement?

The brakes say BR-M575 and I found a video on how to bleed it. Simple enough. I already have mineral oil, and just ordered a funnel. I measured the disk and got 160mm. Looks like it it attached via 6 bolts/screws. So I'll get some pads and bleed the brakes.

On the cassette it's got 9 gears, so I guess that's 27 speeds. I don't need anymore low end I run the front sprocket on the largest already and never use the 2 lower gears. Can get a bigger sprocket on the pedals sprocket to get higher top end?

Thanks for links, I'll check them out. Yes, I have plenty of tools. Been reading the sites and watching youtube. Learning as I go. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.