Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike specs indicate that my bike came with a SRAM XG-1295 Eagle, 10-52t.

According to my searches the asking price is nearly $400.

This caught me a little off guard. Is this normal pricing or current supply chain pricing?

Any alternate brands that I should look at or is it best to stick to the same brand for drivetrain components.

I have an absolute black oval chainring
And a Sram X01 Eagle, 12-speed Derailleur.

also wondering if this would work as I have a 20% coupon.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That's normal SRAM tax. I will say that while it's a lot of scratch for a cassette, the part itself is an absolutely beautiful component and I can at least sort of understand where all the money goes. It ain't easy machining a solid block of steel into a work of art.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
SRAM dome cassettes are really cool, machined from a single steel forging so they wear hard and are hard to fold. Similar spec XTR Shimano part has titanium and aluminum cogs that are in a stack riveted to spiders with like 2.5 inch span between rivets... weaker and no lighter and just as expensive.

But if you just want to save money, GX will save you half the money. Or even NX or Sunrace on an old style freehub will save you 3/4 the money

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it's just for backup then you might as well get something cheap. Sunrace are very good for the money. I had one of their 11 speed cassettes and it lasted just as long and worked just as well as the SRAM NX it replaced.

There's also Twenty21 who started manufacturing 12 speed parts recently to help shops with supply chain issues. Haven't had any of their stuff myself but several friends have had chains and cassettes and they work fine.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,369 Posts
Easy fix is just use the cassette you have and worry about a cassette on the back up wheel set if/ when you need it. It only takes a couple minutes to swap it out, it's one of the easier components to swap.

If you do buy a lower end back up cassette, move the existing one to the wheel set you use most. You have a nice top end cassette, might as well enjoy it!

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
You are looking at the 12s eagle cassette highest up on the sram food chain.

You can get the gx (few levels from the top) for half the price. It will be heavier if that matters (probably not for a spare wheelset).

And yes , the top of xx1 cassette is a beautiful bit of machine work done. I have a worn out one that I cleaned up to have mounted on the wall because it is so damn sexy.

·
XC iconoclast
XC HT, AM HT
2,042 Posts
Try Sunrace/Sunshine CNC cassettes, usable and cost just a fraction of XG cassette. Won't hurt give it a try.

JFOYH MTB 10/11/12 Speed Ultralight Cassette for Mountain Bicycle, 11-46T/50T/52T Compatible with Shimano/SRAM/FSA HG Hub Driver System

$149.95 on Amazon. Don't be scared off by the stupid company's name, that's just some division of ZTTO. It will work fine, I've bought three others for 11-speed. Maybe not for pros that are climbing at 600 watts and abusing their drivetrains, but this cassette will be fine for the other 99% of us out there. They are pretty light, range from 400-490g. Very good deal for the weight. Now how long do they last. I just took off one last night that was skipping on 3 cogs after a new chain was added. It still may be OK later after the chain breaks in, but I checked the Strava data and it was exactly 1000 miles +/- 10 miles. So they will not last super long if you have to change the chain, but for the price they really will work with no issues for 1000+ miles.

One other issue that perplexed me a lot is that the lockrings on these have narrow splines. Which is very odd because the typical ParkTool 5.2g (and really any other one) fit on when it was new, but then later it didn't fit! WTF? How did those 12 openings shrink? The lockring is really cheap aluminium and was scuffed up, so it probably just barely didn't fit on one side. I had to drill all 12 openings for about 6 seconds each and then the remover fit and I got it off with no issues. Would have been embarrassing to do the walk of shame into the bike shop if it was stripped, but I got it off. Had a spare lockring with normal 12 spline acceptors that I'll put on if the cassette is salvageable later after the chain breaks in.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,444 Posts
Reactions: gdb85

·
Registered
535 Posts
Just bought a new set of rims and I want to keep my current ones in tact for backup.
What's the problem with changing cassettes when you switch wheel sets? I've found in the past that changing the rear with different cassettes can cause shifting issues (especially if one gets used significantly more) because the chain is worn. I have 2 wheel sets ready to go for my Stumpy and they are complete with rotors and tires but I take the 5 min. to spin off and on the cassette.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts