Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently riding a bike that is 9 years old. Full shimano XT (3x10), the wheelset is a Mavic SSC SLR.
I want to upgrade it to either a 1x11 or 1x12, how can I figure out if my rear hub will take the cassette? THis is all new to me, usually, drop the bike off at the shop and ask for whatever, but recently the shop has not been as good as it use to be. So I am getting a grand Idea I could do this.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You can use 11spd shimano, sram NX 11spd or 12spd NX eagle. Your current wheelset is on the shimano freehub standard, so only those I listed will be compatible if you are aiming for full groupsets. If you would like higher end sram 11 or 12spd groupsets, you may purchase those sets, but you’ll have to use the nx version cassette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use 11spd shimano, sram NX 11spd or 12spd NX eagle. Your current wheelset is on the shimano freehub standard, so only those I listed will be compatible if you are aiming for full groupsets. If you would like higher end sram 11 or 12spd groupsets, you may purchase those sets, but you'll have to use the nx version cassette.

I knew I came to the right place!! Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here’s some insight from a guy who just did that on my previous 3x9 set up... if it’s a Shimano compatible hub you’re safe for a 11 spd setup as it turns out 8-11 spd safely fits the same hub. Ive been on my 9 spd hub with an extended 11spd XT cassette for the past year and no hub/free hub issues. I kept running into people saying it’s not the same for 12 spd sram. I would love to know if new 2019 XTR can fit that range is exactly what I need and tried to fix with my extended cassette 9 teeth on that too gear sure would’ve picked up that speed nicely

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
You can also use a SunRace 11/ 12 cassette, 11-40, 11-42, 11-46 or 11-50 with any Sram 11/ 12 spd group. Actually the conversion is quite easy and depending on which level you go with can be reasonably inexpensive.
Look up 11 or 12 spd derailleurs or groups on ebay, they will show the whole setup.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,612 Posts
You can also use a SunRace 11/ 12 cassette, 11-40, 11-42, 11-46 or 11-50 with any Sram 11/ 12 spd group. Actually the conversion is quite easy and depending on which level you go with can be reasonably inexpensive.
Look up 11 or 12 spd derailleurs or groups on ebay, they will show the whole setup.
I was going to point out sunrace cassettes as an option, too. I have a couple 11spd 11-46 sunrace cassettes in service and they've been very good.

@DrewT, you need to figure out the gearing that you use and like. If you haven't paid a whole lot of attention so far, you should do so on your bike now before you change anything. Figure out which gear combos you use on your 3x10, particularly at the extremes (lowest and highest) and some sort of reference for the frequency that you use those combos.

Plug those numbers into any one of several gear calculators online. This will include information about your bike like crank length, wheel and tire size, AND the gear combinations to spit out numbers about the relative "difficulty" of the bike's gearing. You can then use that information when doing your 1x conversion to choose a chainring size to target the new gearing to a range you'll use best.

I used the low range gearing of my old 3x drivetrains most (almost never using the big chainring, tbh), so when I went 1x, I chose smaller chainrings to optimize for a similar low end.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I was going to point out sunrace cassettes as an option, too. I have a couple 11spd 11-46 sunrace cassettes in service and they've been very good.

@DrewT, you need to figure out the gearing that you use and like. If you haven't paid a whole lot of attention so far, you should do so on your bike now before you change anything. Figure out which gear combos you use on your 3x10, particularly at the extremes (lowest and highest) and some sort of reference for the frequency that you use those combos.

Plug those numbers into any one of several gear calculators online. This will include information about your bike like crank length, wheel and tire size, AND the gear combinations to spit out numbers about the relative "difficulty" of the bike's gearing. You can then use that information when doing your 1x conversion to choose a chainring size to target the new gearing to a range you'll use best.

I used the low range gearing of my old 3x drivetrains most (almost never using the big chainring, tbh), so when I went 1x, I chose smaller chainrings to optimize for a similar low end.

Good advice!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Here is a vid with pros and cons, I use both and they both bring something to the table. 12 spd can be more refined given that neither SRAM or Shimano provide wide range cassettes for 11 speed.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,612 Posts
neither SRAM or Shimano provide wide range cassettes for 11 speed.
Shifting baseline much? A wide range cassette used to be anything with more range than 11-36. So even an 11-40 would count. So, what, does wide range mean exclusively 10-50 minimum now?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.