Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I looked through the search but the only 26.8mm seatpost posts were pretty old. What's out there for a 26.8mm light seatpost now? I'll be replacing the generic Kalloy on my new build :) It's got to be pretty long as I need at least 300mm from where the clamp touches the rail to the middle of the intersection of my seat and toptube. I'd rather cut any excess than be short.

Easton, Thomson, Ultralight??? Carbon or aluminum is fine. Just want something that will work on a bike ridden almost daily.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Tune 26,8/340 = 186g

Jersey said:
Thomson masterpiece is beautiful, but may be too short
comes in 26.8x240mm

whats your budget like?
Tune 26,8/340 = 186g

however much lighter would be a New Ultimate (27,2/350 = 127g) + shim (ca. 10g) = a37g

Attachments

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jersey said:
Thomson masterpiece is beautiful, but may be too short
comes in 26.8x240mm

whats your budget like?
No way a 240mm will work, too short. I really don't like the look of shims either but 27.2 to 26.8 would be majic :)

The tune post at 186g seems not much ligher than a the EC70 carbon at 211 grams and the easton is 10mm longer. How much roughly is the tune? In 26.8mm even a Thomson Elite doesn't seem that much heavier than the other options?

As to the budget, I just have a problem with paying more than $200 for a seatpost. I'm a weight weenie but I won't spend the big bucks to drop the last few grams or sacrifice performance. Heck I run a Reba over a SID :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pivvay said:
No way a 240mm will work, too short. I really don't like the look of shims either but 27.2 to 26.8 would be majic :)

The tune post at 186g seems not much ligher than a the EC70 carbon at 211 grams and the easton is 10mm longer. How much roughly is the tune? In 26.8mm even a Thomson Elite doesn't seem that much heavier than the other options?

As to the budget, I just have a problem with paying more than $200 for a seatpost. I'm a weight weenie but I won't spend the big bucks to drop the last few grams or sacrifice performance. Heck I run a Reba over a SID :)
thought of sdg? cheap 230 gr. post 350 mm + damn liiiight saddles

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Awesome...

Pivvay said:
How is the clamp on that post? That is the only one I've seen with a decent enough weight savings to make it worth considering although it's not cheap. I love the Thomson clamps, I wish they made a long masterpiece in this size.
The clamp on the Extralite is awesome. I'm running a SLR saddle also, and the clamp does not pinch the rails any. All I had to do was the initial set up of the post and saddle, and did not have to re-tighten all season long. Just set it and forget it.

I'm also going to be ordering another one to install in the Bandito I'm building up.

:cool:

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Extralight Question?

Any difference between "ThePost 2" and "The Post UL2" in function or durability? The price isn't a big difference but I'd gladly sacrifice the 10 grams to have it last a long time. Otherwise I'll get the lighter UL2 if there is just the weight difference.

My generic Kalloy is not sexy and I'm wanting a nice light post more :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.