Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I'm running 32 in the front, 19 in the rear on my Schwinn Homegrown and magically I don't seem to need a singulator at all or a ENO hub or anything like that..It just seems perfect. I'm starting to outpedal myself all the time and I find myself coasting a bit more than I care for so I want to increase the ratio a bit, but I don't want to have to use a singulator..
I think I read that as long as I change teeth in multiples of 4 I'd be OK?? I am thinking of changing my front ring to a 36, and keeping the rear as a 19..or I could change my rear to a 15..

Any suggestions
Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
The whole idea is outlined really well right here.

The concise answer is:
"If a 34x17 setup works, a 35x16 will too. So will a 36x15, or a 33x18. I can fine-tune my gear in small increments without affecting the hub placement, as long as the total number of teeth on the chainring and sprocket remains unchanged."
--Todd Posson

Hope this helps.

dd.'''

·
horizontally compliant
360 Posts
2 teeth change + 1/2 link works, too. I recently switched from 36:20 to 36:18 with a half link and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Check http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/javafmu.php for a chain stay length calculator.
There are not many chain ratios that match your32x19 exactly:

32x19 = 42.146 cm Chain Stay
34x17 & 36x19 = 42.087
33x18 & 35x20 = 42.118

You can probably get 33x18 to work, depending on how worn your chain is. If you do a minor mod to your axle (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=2005&highlight=eccentric), you can probably get all of them, including up to 35x16 (42.05cm) to work.

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
riderx said:
Info on the Rule of 4 right here.

Hi Everyone!
Thanks for everyone's advice.. I bought a Spot Ti 17 tooth cog and a 34 tooth chainring and a new chain...Well everything went on but now the chain is lets just say , rather tight..Basically you can feel a lot of resistance when you backpedal (with your hands) and I was wondering if I should just keep riding until everything loosens up and I'm a bit afraid of damaging my $30 cog! and to think the reason I got into singlespeeding to begin with was so that i didn't have to spend much to buy a whole new drivetrain ha ha..

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'd be more worried about damage to the drive side bearings in the BB and the rear hub. Do you have access to a slightly worn chain?

dd..''

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Add a half link to your 34:17 combination and everything will be fine. Not too loose to drop the chain and not thight at all, it's just perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts