Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a new bike. I will be riding mostily XC and im 6'7", 285 lbs. I was around 230 no more than two years ago, so my main focus is on dropping some weight. I was looking at the 29" bikes since it seems that I would be a good candidate for them, of course all but a few are out of my price range. Anyways, Im looking for something sturdy, not to concerned with weight of the bike, but it needs to come with quality components that won't have to be swapped out right away.

My absolute max budget is $1200 (under $1000 would be great though ) ;)

Heres what I came up with so far...

Kona hoss dee-lux
Giant XTC
Gary Fisher Montare
Trek 6700
Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc
Gary Fisher Rig (I really like this one, 29" tires and SS, but im afraid that in the shape im in right now id die trying to keep up with my riding partners)

Of these, which do you folks feel would be my best bet. Any other bikes I should be taking a look at?

From anyone who has ridden both 26" and 29", for a beginner like myself is there really going to be a noticeable difference?
 

·
featherweight clydesdale
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
AK4900PA said:
Im looking for a new bike. I will be riding mostily XC and im 6'7", 285 lbs. I was around 230 no more than two years ago, so my main focus is on dropping some weight. I was looking at the 29" bikes since it seems that I would be a good candidate for them, of course all but a few are out of my price range. Anyways, Im looking for something sturdy, not to concerned with weight of the bike, but it needs to come with quality components that won't have to be swapped out right away.

My absolute max budget is $1200 (under $1000 would be great though ) ;)

Heres what I came up with so far...

Kona hoss dee-lux
Giant XTC
Gary Fisher Montare
Trek 6700
Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc
Gary Fisher Rig (I really like this one, 29" tires and SS, but im afraid that in the shape im in right now id die trying to keep up with my riding partners)

Of these, which do you folks feel would be my best bet. Any other bikes I should be taking a look at?

From anyone who has ridden both 26" and 29", for a beginner like myself is there really going to be a noticeable difference?
Check out the FAQ thread at the top of the 29 inch forum here on MTBR. One or 2 rides, particularly at your height, and you'll sell every 26" related item you own.

Around that price range you can land a geared Fisher 29"er (Paragon?), a Surly Karate Monkey, or maybe get a custom Waltworks and use a couple of parts from your current ride to stay under budget. At your weight, I'd lean toward the Surly and the Waltworks. Surly is a Quality Bike Brand that almost any LBS can order for you.
 

·
The Duuude, man...
Joined
·
3,537 Posts
AK4900PA said:
I will be riding mostily XC and im 6'7", 285 lbs. I was around 230 no more than two years ago, so my main focus is on dropping some weight. I was looking at the 29" bikes since it seems that I would be a good candidate for them, of course all but a few are out of my price range.

My absolute max budget is $1200 (under $1000 would be great though ) ;)

Heres what I came up with so far...

Kona hoss dee-lux
Giant XTC
Gary Fisher Montare
Trek 6700
Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc
Gary Fisher Rig (I really like this one, 29" tires and SS, but im afraid that in the shape im in right now id die trying to keep up with my riding partners)
At your height, it's a really good idea to look at 29ers. Should you be riding the same wheel size as children and short women?

I know of some super nice used 29er HT's right now for under your budget. They aren't mine, so this isn't SPAM. I would try the classifieds section, or surf directly to the 29er board . Or just email me, I will forward you the info/contacts.

The RIG is nice for the price. I wouldn't shy away from SS based solely on your fitness. Just gear it down so you can handle it...then gear it up as you come into shape and stop being a C-dale.

If you want to buy new, I would go after a Paragon. It's only 1550 retail, and only 300 more than the X-cal, but with superior parts all the way around. Search around, find a shop that will cut you a deal, walk out for 1350 or so, barely over you budget, but a smoker of a deal.

Also consider Karate Monkey's. There's one in the classifeds section right now, as new, XTR, rigid, size XL, 600 shipped. Not mine...At that price, you could buy a brand new top of the line fork and still be under budget.

Budget: 1200
Wheelsizes to choose from: 2
Getting a bike that truely fits: priceless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Im pretty much sold on the idea of a 29er and the SS bikes are just so damn cool, so I think thats what im gonna go with. The only two that ive seen that would fit into my budget are the GF RIG and Surly 1x1. If there are any other 29" singlespeeds within my $1200 budget please let me know.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Surly and I love the idea of being able to pick out every individual item that goes on the bike, but im concerned whether or not I'll be able to figure out how to build the bike. Is it relatively easy or would I be getting in over my head? If I was to get the Surly frame, what suspension forks would be suitable? If I just ordered all the parts and took them to the LBS how much should I expect to pay to have it all assembled? Thanks again for your guys' advice. Im learning quite a bit just using the search function and doing an a**load of reading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just looking at the "one 9". Nicest looking SS 29er frame ive seen yet, but it looks like it would run quite a bit past my budget by the time it was built.
 

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
Joined
·
8,821 Posts
At 6'6 235lbs (down from 250) I resound what has already been stated.....
do NOT look anywhere but at a 29er.
You on a 26" bike would be like you driving a Mazda Miata.
Any of the Fisher options seem like be good for you.

Here's a shot of my 29er gearie...it certainly doesn't look like a wacky-stretched out bike that tall guys normally ride....
 

Attachments

·
featherweight clydesdale
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
AK4900PA said:
Thanks for the responses. Im pretty much sold on the idea of a 29er and the SS bikes are just so damn cool, so I think thats what im gonna go with. The only two that ive seen that would fit into my budget are the GF RIG and Surly 1x1. If there are any other 29" singlespeeds within my $1200 budget please let me know.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Surly and I love the idea of being able to pick out every individual item that goes on the bike, but im concerned whether or not I'll be able to figure out how to build the bike. Is it relatively easy or would I be getting in over my head? If I was to get the Surly frame, what suspension forks would be suitable? If I just ordered all the parts and took them to the LBS how much should I expect to pay to have it all assembled? Thanks again for your guys' advice. Im learning quite a bit just using the search function and doing an a**load of reading.
The Surly KM frameset with ability to go SS or geared is like $400. Add an LX build kit from QBP and it should be in your price range.
 

·
The Duuude, man...
Joined
·
3,537 Posts
AK4900PA said:
Im pretty much sold on the idea of a 29er and the SS bikes are just so damn cool, so I think thats what im gonna go with.

The only two that ive seen that would fit into my budget are the GF RIG and Surly 1x1. If there are any other 29" singlespeeds within my $1200 budget please let me know.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Surly and I love the idea of being able to pick out every individual item that goes on the bike, but im concerned whether or not I'll be able to figure out how to build the bike. Is it relatively easy or would I be getting in over my head? If I was to get the Surly frame, what suspension forks would be suitable? If I just ordered all the parts and took them to the LBS how much should I expect to pay to have it all assembled? Thanks again for your guys' advice. Im learning quite a bit just using the search function and doing an a**load of reading.
You need a 29er, and appear sold on it.

Therefore do not consider the Surly 1x1...that's a kiddie wheeled bike. Consider the Surly Karate Monkey.

There's a fully built KM XL in the classifieds for 600 shipped. I'm not sure if it's been sold or not...3 day old data...

You can build it. May need help at Headset, and bottom bracket, but most LBS's will help you for super cheap.

If you wanted a full assembly, probably around 50-60 bucks.

Suspension forks, big question. Marz, WB, and RS are all good choices, with RS, WB, Marz being the order of "best-ness".

In general, if you build from teh ground up, it will be a bit more expensive, but you could still do it and stay under budget.

Think of it as a learning...if you personally build up from ground, you'll be a good mechanic by the time you get done...

Another tip: whenever you dont' have a tool to do something, instead of paying for it be done, pay for the tool instead...
 

·
The Duuude, man...
Joined
·
3,537 Posts
all that being said...the Rig is a better value than the KM.

Just think: Rock Shox ReBA - awesome fork, EBB lightweight frame, good SS wheels, and comes with great disc brakes...

all that for 1000 bucks....can't go wrong.

a KM (if bought seperatly and NEW) will be frame: 400, fork: 450: brakes: 200, wheels: 250, and all the sudden you're in 1300 and you still don't have post, stem, bar, saddle, HS, cranks, BB, tires, skewers, grips, etc...

a KM bought used is always a good value though.

info overload probably...sorry.
 

·
The Duuude, man...
Joined
·
3,537 Posts
Just to give you an idea

I built this bike from the ground up for a price similar to your price range. It is a XL Surly Karate Monkey. Of course it took me about 6 weeks to search ebay and the classfieds to get the right parts, through buying, trading, borrowing, etc...





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ncj01, your bike is very close to what I would like. My reasoning for building the karate monkey instead just buying the RIG is that I can purchase exactly what I want from the start instead of going through and replacing stuff. As poor of a reason as it is I cant stand that purple color that the RIG comes in either. I was looking at the used KM in the classifieds, but it is a LONG way off from what i want. Im looking to do a SS with suspension fork and disk brakes.
 

·
The Duuude, man...
Joined
·
3,537 Posts
AK4900PA said:
ncj01, your bike is very close to what I would like. My reasoning for building the karate monkey instead just buying the RIG is that I can purchase exactly what I want from the start instead of going through and replacing stuff. As poor of a reason as it is I cant stand that purple color that the RIG comes in either. I was looking at the used KM in the classifieds, but it is a LONG way off from what i want. Im looking to do a SS with suspension fork and disk brakes.
build it up yourself, you'll enjoy it, learn alot, etc.

Like I said, I built this one for about your budget, but I really had to search/beg/borrow/plead. I even laced my own wheels...hit me off-board if you really want to get some extra info/stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you get some free time could you PM me a list of the specs on your bike. Id be interested to see what your running. Also, how tall are you? I saw someone mention in a post that i dug up while searching that the GF RIG was a bit on the small side for them and I believe they were only 6'4"

ncj01 said:
build it up yourself, you'll enjoy it, learn alot, etc.

Like I said, I built this one for about your budget, but I really had to search/beg/borrow/plead. I even laced my own wheels...hit me off-board if you really want to get some extra info/stuff.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top