Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a little bit of trouble sorting through all the info in this forum so here goes... I'm an XC racer. I ride mainly dirt and gravel, but once in a while it rains so I have to deal with some mud. I'm looking to replace my IRC Mythos XC (26x2.1) with something more grippy and light at the same time because I've just been slipping all over the place with these. I've been pointed toward the Kenda Karmas, but I hear they're a bit slippery. Any ideas on a nice front/rear tire that gives great traction, but keeps the inner WW happy?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
kei said:
I'm having a little bit of trouble sorting through all the info in this forum so here goes... I'm an XC racer. I ride mainly dirt and gravel, but once in a while it rains so I have to deal with some mud. I'm looking to replace my IRC Mythos XC (26x2.1) with something more grippy and light at the same time because I've just been slipping all over the place with these. I've been pointed toward the Kenda Karmas, but I hear they're a bit slippery. Any ideas on a nice front/rear tire that gives great traction, but keeps the inner WW happy?
I'm not sure how they compare, but what about Continental Explorers? They sound nice. I tried some used ones a while ago and liked them, although they were worn out, I'm thinking that new ones will be great.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Nobby Nics / Racing Raplhs... You can't beat them for weight/traction... There are ligther tyres but will compromise traction. There are more grippy tyres, but at the cost of some weight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i used the kenda karmas for a good period of time. they are very fast, but do lack traction in corners. i have recenly gone to the small block 8's (2.1) and i am very happy with them. yes, they are a bit heavier than the karmas but, the added control/confidence is worth the slight weight plenalty.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Warp said:
Nobby Nics / Racing Raplhs... You can't beat them for weight/traction... There are ligther tyres but will compromise traction. There are more grippy tyres, but at the cost of some weight.
I second Warp. My son and I both switched to the Nics and depending on the conditions I'll race with a Ralph on the back. Great overall tire. Sheds mud really well and grips just the same.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Warp on to something

I like large volume tires with fairly aggressive tread and the 2.4 Nobby Nic is the best compromise and weighs in at around 600g, it works everywhere. The 2.35 Small Block 8 weighs about the same weight as the NN, is good on hardpack and floats well in sand but if the sand is on an incline they pack up and don't work well. Both of these tires are very thin so they're more likely to pinch than some other tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nobby nics and racing ralphs look good and seem to be the universal answer, but they're quite expensive :(! anyone know where I can find these for a relatively low price (sub $60 maybe)?

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
If you were at all happy with the Mythos, look within IRC at the Mibro's. I had Mythos' for years in varying sizes, and tried the semi slick Seracks(sp?). Now I've got some 2.25 and 1.95 Mibros on the Fixie/SS and XC bike respectively. I'd say both Mibro sizes have better traction than the Mythos and the 2.25 is lighter than the Serac were. And the knobs are spaced wider and are better mud tires than the Mythos, but not super mudder's either.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
kei said:
nobby nics and racing ralphs look good and seem to be the universal answer, but they're quite expensive :(! anyone know where I can find these for a relatively low price (sub $60 maybe)?
Drop a line to Chad from redbarnbicycles.com... As usual with guys like him or Larry, I can't say the price he gave me, but I will say it was a sweet price.

·
Registered
363 Posts
kei said:
I actually have a bunch of 2.1" and 2.25" Knobby Nics and Racing Ralphs for sale right here in the MTBR.com Classifieds:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=MtbReview&website=MtbReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=110869&query=retrieval

·
Registered
525 Posts
A alternative to the Nobby Nic may be the Tioga Red Phoniex Pro with the cylex casing
128 tpi. Very Grippy tire and very light. Are you running Ust rims or standard?
I use the standard tires with Stans rim strips. I wish I could tell you were to get them cheap however they seem a little less expensive than the Nobby Nics. I have seen the weight vary between 460 and 500 grams. You have got to try this tire I was amazed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.