Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start using the GT Avalance 1.0 as a commuter bike during the weeks, and I'd like to get another set of tires that are designed for street use.

I've looked at a few, and I've seen a few more at the LBS, but nothing popped out at me. I also usually don't make any purchases without some input from others.

I've looked at a few of these already-
Maxxis Holy Roller
Michelin country rock
Kenda Kwest
Maxxis Hookworm

Just looking for some reccomendations.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
i will recommend the continental sport contact

but do get the 1.6" size and not the 1.3" as it will look too small on a 559 rim.

this is how it will look if you put on the 1.3"

with a 1.6"

otherwise i am sure a city ride will be just as good ... if you need a bit more threads to keep you happy on damp/wet road.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I might actually go with something even wider. I want a little more volume because I'm sure I'll find some interesting loading docks to drop from during all this riding.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How are those Holy Rollers as far as rolling resistance, maintaining speed, and cornering? I like that they could probably excel in both street and trail conditions.

I like the Holy Roller semi slicks, but I'd be afraid to do any cornering on a tire like that. The wide knobby tread might actually make me slip out if I were to lean to far.

Can anyone post a pic of the Krads?

G

·
I run Holy Rollers for street /commuting and love them. Part of my commute takes me through dirt, and they work excelent. I wouldn't do DH on them, but for light AM and XC type riding they rock...never had any unwanted drifting, and very littel rolling resistance (appx 40 psi). I will admit I run a light treaded/high volume front tire (i.e. WTB exiwolf). The semi-slick High Roller looks interesting for a front tire.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i've heard good things about the holy rollers. if you really wanna get freaky then maybe the kenda short trackers might work. i love those things but it's a shame to waste em purely on pavement.

·
Registered
963 Posts
bigsurf75 said:
How are those Holy Rollers as far as rolling resistance, maintaining speed, and cornering? I like that they could probably excel in both street and trail conditions.

I like the Holy Roller semi slicks, but I'd be afraid to do any cornering on a tire like that. The wide knobby tread might actually make me slip out if I were to lean to far.

Can anyone post a pic of the Krads?
The Holy Rollers are great. My brother and I rode a century on a rail trail last weekend. I ran 2.4 Holy Rollers and he ran 2.35 Kenda K-Rads. They are pretty much the same tire. They have pretty low rolling resistance and have very good traction in loose gravel. I have ridden XC with mine on the bike and they do pretty well.

As another plus, the Holy Rollers have a lot of miles in them. I have over 300 miles on mine and they don't even show any wear. They still have most of the hairy little rubber things on the tread.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have the Michelin Country Rocks that you have on your list. They rock. Nice volume, decent rolling. But I replaced them with Specialized All Conditions 1"er's for some serious commuting. WOW fast.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I like these quite a bit as well.

It looks like those country rocks only come in a 1.75, that sucks. Lemme get this right though, the skinnier the tire, the faster it's gonna be?

This looks real good as well. It comes on the XXIX from the factory right?

Another good looking one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a pic of the K-rads for anyone who ends up using this thread for reference.

Depending on how much room I have, I may have to go with these instead of the Holy Rollers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have k rads on my Giant stp, they are great for rolling resistance(2.3), but they SUCK, SUCK, SUCK in loose gravel/ light dirt on the road, especially if youre cornering. Theyre great if there isn't any debris on the road,:eekster: but udder dan dat....:confused: :confused:

PS I wouldn't buy them again....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.