Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 year old specialized pump finally bit the dust.

I loved it because it had a big dial to show the lower PSI for mtb tires, and I’m not sure what else is good, and is accurate. The pump gauge for the Park pump looks terrible, and unusable.

Another related question: does cushcore given you screwy readings on pump or standalone gauges? I can’t seem to get a good reading on my bike with cush core.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
My 15 year old specialized pump finally bit the dust.

I loved it because it had a big dial to show the lower PSI for mtb tires, and I'm not sure what else is good, and is accurate. The pump gauge for the Park pump looks terrible, and unusable.

Another related question: does cushcore given you screwy readings on pump or standalone gauges? I can't seem to get a good reading on my bike with cush core.
Hahaha! My 15 year old Specialized floor pump finally died on me too. I replaced it with another Specialized ?

· Registered
153 Posts
I bought this one, and although it's pretty pricey, it's really good:
Bontrager TLR Flash Charger Floor Pump | Trek Bikes

Since you're using tubeless tires, this is the kind of pump you need if you don't have a compressor or a separate charge canister. It's right in the same price ballpark as other pumps of this sort. It does work well as a straight pump, and the charge volume works just as well as my small pancake compressor.

The digital gage seems accurate, and it's is definitely consistent. I've checked it against a Topeak smart gauge, and they both agree. The one on the floor pump is better though in that it will give a number to the tenths place, instead of just a half psig like the Topeak.

As far as the problem with Cushcore, I would guess it's either a clogged valve core, or the valve stem doesn't have the right style of outlet. Tire liners can push up against the valve stem outlet and restrict air flow in or out. Some stems have outlet holes that face sideways instead of just straight down, preventing the blockage.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
I have a few floor pumps, but have almost stopped using them in favor of an air compressor.

Here's what I have set up -- the big key is that I have multiple gauges and can swap them out depending on the PSI range of the tire that I'm filling up instead of needing to have a gauge with a range wide enough to cover everything.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
I took some heat here on MTBR when I bought one of these and shared it in a post:
I don't care what anybody else says, if I lose this thing I'll cheerfully buy another.
I'll never use a floor pump again.
Fumpa: Accurate digital gauge. Super easy to use. Small, handy. Rechargeable. Fits in the camper van way better than a floor pump. Not cheap.
Some things are worth what they cost. The Fumpa pump, similar to a good quality bike, is one of those things.
=sParty

· since 4/10/2009
37,141 Posts
I have a couple Topeak Joe Blow Mtn pumps at work that have gauges in the 0-60psi range. They gauges seem okay at least down to around 20psi, but I hate the pumps. There's a TON of resistance to inflation that just seems unnecessary to me. It feels like there's a major restriction to airflow somewhere in the pump.

At home, I have an older Serfas pump I bought heavily used years ago after it did heavy work in a shop for customer tire inflation duties. I think it's the older version of this one.

Serfas - FMP-500O Orange Floor Pump

Gauge is more appropriate for road pressures, but it's super smooth and easy to use, and it inflates quickly. I just use a Meiser Accugage for mtb pressures.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
I took some heat here on MTBR when I bought one of these and shared it in a post:
I don't care what anybody else says, if I lose this thing I'll cheerfully buy another.
I'll never use a floor pump again.
Fumpa: Accurate digital gauge. Super easy to use. Small, handy. Rechargeable. Fits in the camper van way better than a floor pump. Not cheap.
Some things are worth what they cost. The Fumpa pump, similar to a good quality bike, is one of those things.
=sParty
I also have one of these Ryobi inflators that I can take along if we're going somewhere. It's a big bigger than the Fumpa, but significantly cheaper (and will also inflate your beach toys or air mattresses!):

· off to ride
256 Posts
funny to see so many with older Specialized pumps. I still have mine as well, it’s 13 or so years old. Seems the dial is still working fairly well - I just ordered a digital gauge, I can’t get my auto digital gauge to work with my shrader valve adaptor, so….

but, if you liked the specialized pumps and they lasted, I‘d say just buy one of those again. I’ve looked at them at the LBS, they seem to be about the same. Maybe a large face for the gauge if I remember correctly.

· Evolutionsverlierer
3,094 Posts
I have a SKS floor pump which is around 25+ years old and I had to replace the seals once.
The only thing I do not like is the very small gauge but that also started just in the last few years when my eye sight went awol for good from its former pristine 20/20 standing.

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I have given up on any floor pump with an accurate, repeatable gauge. I have tried them from low pressure analog through digital and they all come out of calibration quickly. I have found in the end, overinflate slightly, then use a good external gauge (i.e. Topeak, Meiser, etc.) to set final pressures. The exception to this is the digital gauge on the presta chucked attachment to my compressor, which has managed to stay accurate for 4+ years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.