Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, well I went to the LBS today and discussed options of replacing my dj2, and they told me they'd get me a gold label for 350, any thoughts on this fork? How would my ride height and the overall weight be changed comming from an 04 marzocchi 110mm DJ2? Can someone find specs on the 04 DJ2's, I can't find them anywhere.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
don't take my numbers as fact, as I'm just making assumptions, but (assuming you get an 80mm GL) there is probably a good difference of about 32mm+/- in a2c height and probably close to a couple of #'s too.

too bad your molosse doesn't use an integrated headset... well, how long is your headtube + headset? There is a Nemesis slammed Z1 still on ebay for very cheap, it's been relisted like 4 times since it has such a short steerer tube (which is perfect size for my eastern, but I don't need another fork). Check it out, looks like a deal.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BikeSATORI said:
don't take my numbers as fact, as I'm just making assumptions, but (assuming you get an 80mm GL) there is probably a good difference of about 32mm+/- in a2c height and probably close to a couple of #'s too.

too bad your molosse doesn't use an integrated headset... well, how long is your headtube + headset? There is a Nemesis slammed Z1 still on ebay for very cheap, it's been relisted like 4 times since it has such a short steerer tube (which is perfect size for my eastern, but I don't need another fork). Check it out, looks like a deal.
I did, I checked it out and was really thinking about it today but a trip to the LBS turned me off towards it, heres why:

The Z1 has been known to develop cranks at the edges of the crown, marz won't warranty in this case at all if it happens

If I bought it I'd have to buy a bmx stem and bmx bars, not a big deal but another 80 bucks or so.

so the GL would be new, and have a warranty, and only be $100 more pricey

I'm still thinking of rigid

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
get a gold label, they're a very sick fork, for $350.00 not bad. bike stop has the argyle 302 for $288.00 but if you're wanting shorter travel than 100mm get a gold label. 80mm

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Lickqid said:
I did, I checked it out and was really thinking about it today but a trip to the LBS turned me off towards it, heres why:

The Z1 has been known to develop cranks at the edges of the crown, marz won't warranty in this case at all if it happens

If I bought it I'd have to buy a bmx stem and bmx bars, not a big deal but another 80 bucks or so.

so the GL would be new, and have a warranty, and only be $100 more pricey

I'm still thinking of rigid
who told you all of these things? I'm all about supporting the LBS, but not if they are trying to feed you shift down the throat just to make a sale. c'mon.
why would you have to buy a bmx stem and bars? Even if you did need a lower stack stem, you could pick up a SIC or dangerboy and keep your bars.

I'm sure you would dig the GL though if you go that route...
as for the crack in the crown, that was much older models I believe... but, I've also seen a few GL's crack at the arch, pics were recently posted, and the CS for that warranty job was apparantly less than phenomenal.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BikeSATORI said:
who told you all of these things? I'm all about supporting the LBS, but not if they are trying to feed you shift down the throat just to make a sale. c'mon.
why would you have to buy a bmx stem and bars? Even if you did need a lower stack stem, you could pick up a SIC or dangerboy and keep your bars.

I'm sure you would dig the GL though if you go that route...
as for the crack in the crown, that was much older models I believe... but, I've also seen a few GL's crack at the arch, pics were recently posted, and the CS for that warranty job was apparantly less than phenomenal.
You think they fork would work? I've got a thomson stem with a 40mm clamp height, and an FSA the Pig headset. With the headtube it adds up to around 7 inches that I need of steerer tube, so I need a stem that takes at least half an inch off that number. ANy ideas?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Lickqid said:
You think they fork would work? I've got a thomson stem with a 40mm clamp height, and an FSA the Pig headset. With the headtube it adds up to around 7 inches that I need of steerer tube, so I need a stem that takes at least half an inch off that number. ANy ideas?
mmm, unfortunetly no, it sounds like it would be short now.
remember, when you add in your stem, you actually need the steerer to be just a bit shorter than that... but still, sounds like your total would be closer to 7" than 6, which that fork is closer to....

well, I just measured, my eastern's headtube With headset is 5" exactly, and the demolition stem is 1.25, and I think that fork would be just about a Perfect fit...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BikeSATORI said:
mmm, unfortunetly no, it sounds like it would be short now.
remember, when you add in your stem, you actually need the steerer to be just a bit shorter than that... but still, sounds like your total would be closer to 7" than 6, which that fork is closer to....

well, I just measured, my eastern's headtube With headset is 5" exactly, and the demolition stem is 1.25, and I think that fork would be just about a Perfect fit...
pick it up man, thats a great price, though I've talked to the guy via email, he doesn't seem very nice at all. I'm sure the transaction would go well, his/her feedback is excellent, but who knows. I hate spending cash on a GL though

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Lickqid said:
pick it up man, thats a great price, though I've talked to the guy via email, he doesn't seem very nice at all. I'm sure the transaction would go well, his/her feedback is excellent, but who knows. I hate spending cash on a GL though
haha, yeah man I know... I almost bid on it last time, before he had to relist it this time... But thing is, I just don't need a new fork, I have an 06 DJ2 that is serving me well, and at the moment, I'm trying to make some extra money, not spend it! One reason my Eastern frame and Atomlab wheelset is up for sale...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.