Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need a Clyde ride

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  PCinSC 
#1 ·
Hi all, new Clyde here.

I'm looking to get back into riding, and looking for a new bike. I asked in one of the other forums before realizing that I should be here instead. So forgive the cross-post please.

I'll start off by saying that I'm squarely in the clyde camp. 6' and 260#. I doubt that I will ever be less that 215-220.

I plan to start riding in the mountains near home. Lots of fire roads, trails, etc. I'm not going for huge technical stuff, freeride, or DH. But I want a bike that can tackle whatever I encounter. Basically an All-mountain type ride.

My budget will probably be in the $1000-1500 range. But I will leave the style recommendations up to you. Hardtail, FS, 29er, at this point I will consider them all. The more I read, the more confused I seem to get. So I'm turning to the experts for help.

What would you suggest for this Clyde?

#2 ·
clyde ride

Acouple of Christmas' ago my kids bought me a Specialized Enduro Comp. It cost about 1700.00 as I recall. Idid upgrade to some xm321 rims on xt hubs and to a fox float front fork although I never really had any problems from the stock components (Manitou Black Platinum and Mavic 223 rims). I have since moved to a Titus Moto-lite built up for me and my weight(280lbs) but the Enduro still goes out when I can talk my son into riding with me and has never been a problem. I think Specialized still makes an entry level Enduro and you can get a smoking deal on it online. Try www.wheelworld.com.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input so far.

But I don't think I'm ready to pick a bike yet. I'm still trying to decide on a type.

I'm somewhat worried that any FS bike that I can get on my $1000-1500 budget may not be adequate for my size. Seems like you can get some pretty beefy HT's for that kind of cash though. Almost appears as if the choice is a pretty rockin HT, or a very basic FS.

I'm really interested in the 29'ers. But my LBS (yes, there is only one here) does not stock any, and seemed a little leery of them. Especially the availability of parts and pieces to build one up.

What would your choice be.

#4 ·
Beefy bike

I think that your LBS may be right about 29r"s. The fork availability is limited and the wheels have some flexability that hasn't been satisfactorily addressed yet. I would go with a full suspension 26 incher. You can get a really decent one for the amount of money you want to spend. I have a hardtail but after riding full sus I would never go back to it. It was a teeth rattling ride but at the time it was the best I could do. If you insist on a hardtail take a look at the Kona Hoss. It was made for big guys. You may have to upgrade the fork but with the money you will have leftover you could get a clyde-worthy fork and still not bust your budget

#5 ·
My head keeps going around in a circle. First, I'm truly unsure if I can get a decent FS for a guy my size at my budget. I really need to buy from my LBS. I need some expertise to make sure I get the right size frame. I'll also need them to do my wrenching and teach me the basics. I really don't want to drop $2K until I'm sure that I will continue to ride for a while.

So that leads me into thinking about a nice hardtail again. Rockhopper, Hoss, etc. start to look good for a while until I think..... well if I'm going to be riding a hardtail, should I look at the 29ers.

I go around in a circle until I reach paralysis by analysis.

My LBS thinks that a Specialized FSR-XC is just what I need. But the more that I read around here, the more worried I get about that particular bike holding up under me. (Scale read 265lbs this a.m.) I'm not really sure if they actually think it will do me O.K. or if they are wanting to sell them since they are in stock. What makes matters worse, is that the town is so small, there is only one LBS, with what seems like minimal stock. Seem like nice guys so far from talking to them. But I'm not really experienced enough to know what is B.S. and what is not.

#6 ·
If you really want to taste the 29er, try to find a shop with Gary Fishers, probably the only brand you'll find consistently in a 29er in shops. Even if you have to travel to a bigger town, its cool. They have a couple in your price range, the Cobia and the X-caliber. The cobia is a little under specced for its price, in my opinion, and the x-caliber is much better equipped. There is the Rig too for a single speed choice, if you swing that way.

Try to ride them, theres no substitute and no ammount of internet reading to really make your decision for you until you ride them.

Ride some good 26" hardtails also. Rockhopper, Hoss, or anything with a solid frame and a beafy fork.

Heck you might even be able to build up a Santa Cruz Chameleon.

#9 ·
I have one of these (I'm 6 ft 285):

http://www.thebicycleoutlet.com/ind...2&category_id=75&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=32

I did replace the fork with a Marzorchi All Mountain 1 and I had to get a new headset to do that, but the bike is nice and lightweight and is holding up well so far (though I've only been able to go 10 miles or so because of all this stinking rain!!). There is no peddle bob from the rear shock, and more experienced riders seem very impressed with it. I'm becoming more and more confident on it every time I get on it, even if it's just around my yard in between rain drops......

I've also heard really good things about the Jamis Dakar XLT series. There are 2005 models still floating around that are easily within your price range, and they have some really impressive components for the price.

Good luck!!

#10 ·
dogdoc said:
I never see the FSR-XC mentioned as a clyde bike. Am I right in thinking that it would probably not be a good choice for me?
I don't think that anyone else can really answer that question for you. I'd bet if your tires never leave the ground and you don't do any high-speed technical descents, the FSR-XC would hold up OK. Decide what type of riding you do (and want to do) and allow that to guide your decision. Personally, I wouldn't even consider that bike.

Patrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.