Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....I'm building up a rigid Commandante for my first 29er. With Syntace having problems on their end, and me going through indecision on my end, I'm still trying to figure out what bar and seatpost to get.

I'm wondering who makes wide carbon or titanium flatbrs with lots of sweep and minimal weight. I was planning on a riser, but figure I probably would be better off with flats.

I'm also wondering what my choices are in terms of lightweight carbon or titantium setback seatposts. I'm not seeing anything other than Moots or Race Face at this point

Attachments

·
Interlectchewal
1,170 Posts
el Turtlehead said:
....I'm building up a rigid Commandante for my first 29er. With Syntace having problems on their end, and me going through indecision on my end, I'm still trying to figure out what bar and seatpost to get.

I'm wondering who makes wide carbon or titanium flatbrs with lots of sweep and minimal weight. I was planning on a riser, but figure I probably would be better off with flats.

I'm also wondering what my choices are in terms of lightweight carbon or titantium setback seatposts. I'm not seeing anything other than Moots or Race Face at this point
Black Sheep will make you a titanium laidback seatpost with a Thomson clamp. I'm not sure how light it is. Email Ryan at Black Sheep for a price. The word here at MTBR is that Black Sheep will also make just about any kind of titanium bars you can think of.

Here's a couple of pictures of a straight Black Sheep post with a black Thomson clamp.

Eriksen is also an option for a seatpost with some setback.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I like the looks of the Eriksen post.

Very similar to the Bontrager Carbon Race X Lite which would be a nice option. For bars, I am hoping that Bontrager comes out with their Big Sweep bar in Carbon. I love the Alu version becuase the top stays straight and the stem clamp bulge of the bar is at the bottom.

That nice white frame would look hot with some nice shiney carbon. Small rise bar would be OK too. How about the Race Face Next SL Low Rise, Dues Stem, Next Seatpost?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I like your frame. How much does it weigh? I'm scoping out different frames to build a 29er SS and have had good luck with Ventana frames in the past.

Note on laidback post. I've used the Moots laidback post for years and love it. Although it looks like Ericksen has taken his Moots design and made it better.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are having problems shipping product....

....So it's not known when I'll ever get the Stem/Bar that Larry at MHC ordered in January. I'm still waiting on my I9 wheels so I'm not in too big a hurry.

Dr Feelygood ! said:
El TH, what`s the problem with Syntace please?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...

...I actually don't know the weight as I don't even have it yet; it's waiting at MHC to be built up.

This wil be my 8th or 9th Ventana since 1995 and I'll probably never buy an MTB from anyone else. They're just too good on all fronts for me not to be loyal, and in the case of 29ers, Sherwood's one of the biggest big wheel devotees around.

BTW, The colour is actually white with a translucent green clearcoat. Kinda hard to make out in the photo.

QUOTE=CrashCanipe]I like your frame. How much does it weigh? I'm scoping out different frames to build a 29er SS and have had good luck with Ventana frames in the past.

Note on laidback post. I've used the Moots laidback post for years and love it. Although it looks like Ericksen has taken his Moots design and made it better.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
How wide of bars are you looking for? If you get a wide, big sweep Ti bar, it won't be a featherweight due to needing a thicker wall diameter. I had a 28", 15 degree made by James at Black Sheep, and it ROCKS! It weighs 268 grams.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know, I'm not sure...

....I've been going progressively wider over the years . Probably 26"--27" ???? That's what I'm running on my Saltamontes. Should I go wider for a rigid Singlespeed?

This bike purchase has me feeling like it's 1992 all over again.

azjonboy said:
How wide of bars are you looking for? If you get a wide, big sweep Ti bar, it won't be a featherweight due to needing a thicker wall diameter. I had a 28", 15 degree made by James at Black Sheep, and it ROCKS! It weighs 268 grams.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My 28" Black Sheep bars are on my steel SS. A stiff Thomson stem ties them to the frame. Love the width for leverage when climbing and the damping of the ti bars for the hands is awesome.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I currently have a Syntace P6 on hold for me at MHC....

....it seems to have alot of Fore-Aft adjustability. And damn ! that things trick! The question is, does it have enough Aft? The Commandante has a 74 degree ST. My Salty has a 72 STA and I run a Thomson straight post at dead center on the saddle rails. I suppose I could do some calculations if I knew how many millimeters of fore or aft saddle position are in one degree of seattube angle change.

I know I coulda worded that better but I just had a root canal a few hours ago and I'm living on Vicodin and the after-effects of Valium :p

Feel the Hydrocodone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.