Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
So the spider that converts our Raceface Ride (cinch) crankset to 2x so we can use it on our tandem shattered yesterday on a climb. The outer holes on 104 BCD ring--the main drivetrain ring--all broke.

I know 2x has fallen out of favor and our drivetrain is 1x, but we need the inner position 22t for the timing chain that feeds power from the front pedals to the rear.

Weight doesn't matter, we really just want/need the strongest possible setup.

100mm regular English threaded BB, 197 rear. The boost spider we were running has an 80mm chainline, and there was plenty of clearance with the largest 5.05" tires.

I'm really just at a loss as to what to do. The bike was designed at least partially around this crankset, but I really think if I replace the parts, it's just going to die again.
If you can live with 180mm long cranks, a Surly OD cranks is available here for $100: Surly OD 132mm Press Fit Crankset

Tim

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Is there any reason to believe the Cannondale Hollowgram spider is stronger than the Race Face spider we're currently using? If so, I'm definitely willing to try it.
I don't think it looks any more beefy than the RF, but I still think there's a good chance your all-RF spider + chainring + bolts will work.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Is there any reason to believe the Cannondale Hollowgram spider is stronger than the Race Face spider we're currently using? If so, I'm definitely willing to try it.
I run OneUp switch on all my bikes but sadly they quit making them for C'Dale. I have one spider here and it's stout and fits a RF chain ring perfect. I also have some 170mm Si arms( the solid ones) and a few spindles. if you are going to go in this direction.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@twodownzero: The only 2X one I've really seen that might be beefier around the chainring bolt holes is Hope. Plus it can take a bash ring.

If the ring posted above this one doesn't work, that sounds like a great option. $300 for the crankset plus the spider though! I suppose anything is better than the walk of shame.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You neglected to mention a lot of necessary information, like the fact it is a tandem.

The Rene Herse article you linked says they don't recommend their square taper cranks for MOUNTAINBIKES.
He did say it was a tandem, several times.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Contact Phil Wood they used to make square taper bottom brackets in fat bike widths.
I got some on Amazon in 177mm widths! I don't have the 5.05" tires on but they clear with quite a bit of clearance with my 3.8". Going to try these for a while and if not, try something else I guess. Still talking to Race Face as well. They sent me a new spider but I'm gun shy about putting it on since the last one failed pretty spectacularly.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts