Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a 15mm Allen key for the freehub body on a 142x12 Shimano hub.
Has anybody seen such a thing online.
Also need tip to getting the freehubbody off .... Hub is not build to rim , and I have a feeling that once i find the 15mm Allen , that body is screwed onto the hubshell pretty tight.
So any ideas as to how I can get a grib on the hubshell , (without lacing it to a rim) ....
Cheers

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
impact wrench if its not laced. you can use a junk rim and spokes to put a rim on it. doesn't even need to be tensioned/built up proper

·
Powered by Pulvoron
353 Posts
any sears hardware will carry the 15mm in their glass case. Also check Fastenal and McMaster Carr for quick shipping.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I've wrapped hubs in an old tube and then put them in a vise when I needed to get the freehub out of an unbuilt wheel. This has always worked.

Tim

·
Plays with tools
4,648 Posts
I believe it's a 14mm as well. Shimano makes one but it's nothing special. I made one using an old square tapper BB and a hex bolt. I cleaned the axle and bolt really well and installed the bolt with locktite 690 bering retaining compound on it so it's not going anywhere. I've only had to use it a couple of times and it does show some wear already but for as little as I need to use it it's worked pretty well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In case anyone is still wondering about this....

15mm

Need a 15mm Allen key for the freehub body on a 142x12 Shimano hub.
Has anybody seen such a thing online.
Also need tip to getting the freehubbody off .... Hub is not build to rim , and I have a feeling that once i find the 15mm Allen , that body is screwed onto the hubshell pretty tight.
So any ideas as to how I can get a grib on the hubshell , (without lacing it to a rim) ....
Cheers

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,165 Posts

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts