Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a 38.1mm bar that has minimial rise that also can let me run the brakes/stifters super close to the stem. Here's the problem- I have Magura Gustavs that have about 4" long levers and I only brake with one finger. This means that I have to have the levers and shifter positions switched and then push the lever clamp as close to the bend as possible. However this still doesn't put the levers in the optimal position. I need a low rise bar (a flat bar would be ideal, but I have never seen a flat 38.1mm DH bar) that rises and flares in the smallest amount of space close to the stem so I can push the levers inboard more. Anyone have a similar problem? I have tried Specialized Bighit bars, Husslefelt, and FSA FR bars and they are all about the same.

I have not seen shorter levers for Gustavs. GRC says they may be coming out with aftermarket levers in the future. Until then, a wide bar with lots of straight area is my only solution.

·
Deadhead
367 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I think I saw a 31.8 flat bar made by Chromag Bikes. It isn't on their website, but you might try giving tham a call.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The FSA bars have a fairly wide center bulge in them. Raceface bars are very nice this way in that they have a lot of room for bolt on grips, shifters and brakes. I'm running Gustavs so I know exactly what you're dealing with. Raceface just also released their new Atlas all mountain bar with is 27" wide with 0.75" rise.

http://raceface.com/components/bars/atlasbar.htm

It's not quite as strong as the Diabolus bar, but is a bit lighter, but also an inch narrower. These bars might be worth looking at.

Cheers,

henryl said:
I need a 38.1mm bar that has minimial rise that also can let me run the brakes/stifters super close to the stem. Here's the problem- I have Magura Gustavs that have about 4" long levers and I only brake with one finger. This means that I have to have the levers and shifter positions switched and then push the lever clamp as close to the bend as possible. However this still doesn't put the levers in the optimal position. I need a low rise bar (a flat bar would be ideal, but I have never seen a flat 38.1mm DH bar) that rises and flares in the smallest amount of space close to the stem so I can push the levers inboard more. Anyone have a similar problem? I have tried Specialized Bighit bars, Husslefelt, and FSA FR bars and they are all about the same.

I have not seen shorter levers for Gustavs. GRC says they may be coming out with aftermarket levers in the future. Until then, a wide bar with lots of straight area is my only solution.

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
Trials Bars

henryl said:

Check out different trials bars. I know there are some flat bars available in 31.8. Check out www.trialsin.com www.webcylery.com and www.thetrialsinshop.com
I got a Zoo bar on my trials rig with a very low rise. It's pretty stiff too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.