Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
LOTS of guys use 26er wheels with a 29er...

theres a few options for putting sealent in a presta tube if you don't have the removable valve...

i've read of one guy who would file off the mushroomed portion of the valve nut... remove it and let the valve slide into the tube a bit (make sure not to drop it into the tube)... fill tube then slide the valve back out and put the nut back on, mushroom the end again and you're off...

next and IMHO easier option is to put a little cut in the tube to get the sealant in then use a patch kit to patch the hole...

·
Administrator
11,977 Posts
donalson said:
LOTS of guys use 26er wheels with a 29er...

theres a few options for putting sealent in a presta tube if you don't have the removable valve...

i've read of one guy who would file off the mushroomed portion of the valve nut... remove it and let the valve slide into the tube a bit (make sure not to drop it into the tube)... fill tube then slide the valve back out and put the nut back on, mushroom the end again and you're off...

next and IMHO easier option is to put a little cut in the tube to get the sealant in then use a patch kit to patch the hole...
I do the slip the valve core into the tube thing. Works like a charm and even if you drop the valve in it is easy to get it back out, especially when you have injected goop into it. Only drawback is if using the slime with fibers. They can get caught up in the valve core and make it difficult to remount.

it is most definitely not as much work as trying to source removeable valve core presta tubes. There are few manufacturers.

·
Registered
545 Posts
YA it's no big deal at all just unscrew the nut let the valve fall inside the tube inject your sealer work valve back into hole and put the nut back on . I just use performnce brand 26" tubes and this works fine for me.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
tape instead of tubes

If you are using the tube to seal off the spoke holes by cutting off the outer half of the tube - essentially making stan's rim strips I would recommend using Stan's tape instead. If you are using just the valve area of the tube and inserting in a Stan's rim, beware that (I think) the valve holes is larger than standard. This may not cause a problem at lower pressures, but road tire pressures could push the valve through the hole.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I second the Bontrager Superlight tubes. I am running the 26x1.75-2.35 filled with 2 ounces of Stans fluid. I first ran them on Delgado disc rims with pressures down to 20-24 psi (I weigh 160 with gear.) Now I am running the exact same tubes on my Gordo rims. When I pulled them out they had basically zero fluid in them. Pulled the cores, put more fluid in with an injector.

I pinched this combo on more roots and rocks than I can even begin to imagine. I also rode a section of trail right after installing them that was fresh cut. The had to clear countless wild rose bushes and there were thorns everywhere. I pulled about 5 thorns out at the end of the day and they sealed well. I tried a stab test a la Stans tubeless setup and the tube went right down. So not quite the protection of a full on Stans setup, but way more peace of mind than running a plain tube.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so, is the consensus that a 26" tube is fine for a 29" rim.

I was told that since it is stretched any puncture will turn into a large tear immediately?

old wives tale?

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,785 Posts
bt said:
so, is the consensus that a 26" tube is fine for a 29" rim.

I was told that since it is stretched any puncture will turn into a large tear immediately?

old wives tale?
Yes, I believe it is the consensus of those who have used 26" tubes on a 29er that it works fine. My punctures have not gotten "bigger" when using a 26" tube. However, I now use a 700 x 32c innertube as my tube of choice when running tubes, or when carrying a spare tube in the seat pack. I usually run ghetto tubeless, using a split and trimmed 24" presta tube as my rimstrip, pinching the split tube/rimstrip between tire bead and rim. That way it doesn't burp and doesn't blow-off the rim -- cheap, light, easy to install, easy to maintain, resistant to all punctures (but not sidewall cuts).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.