Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Am heading to San Diego next month for two days. Want are two "must ride trails" in the area. I'm an aggressive trail/all mountain rider riding a 5" travel Titus Motolite. Any suggestions?

Thanks
 

·
Leash Law Enforcer
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
miles said:
Iron Mountain and San Pasqual/Clevenger Canyon. You must do them. Preferably on the same day.
I'd agree with Iron Mountain, although you should know that depending on your skill level there may be some hike-a-bike involved and I would also recommend doing both the Iron Mountain side and Ellie Lane side. San Pasqual/Clevenger? I've never ridden it because I thought bikes were not allowed. Please tell me I'm wrong, I would love to go try it out. Nobel Canyon is always a classic too.
 

·
If you have to ask...
Joined
·
720 Posts
I'm not sure a DH bike would be any fun at all on Iron Mountain. I guess it would depend on how strong you are, and how heavy your bike is. Are you happy with pushing/dragging it uphill for a couple of hours? You absolutely wouldn't be able to ride it much in the upwards direction.

As to Clevenger canyon- if it is off-limits to bikes, I've never seen the sign.



By the way, to the OP- I was joking, These are not trails I would recommend to anybody but the hardcore tech riding fiends who enjoy brutal steep climbs. The trails I woud recommend to out of towners would have to be Tecolote Canyon and Lake Hodges.


miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,260 Posts
miles said:
I'm not sure a DH bike would be any fun at all on Iron Mountain. I guess it would depend on how strong you are, and how heavy your bike is. Are you happy with pushing/dragging it uphill for a couple of hours? You absolutely wouldn't be able to ride it much in the upwards direction.

As to Clevenger canyon- if it is off-limits to bikes, I've never seen the sign.

By the way, to the OP- I was joking, These are not trails I would recommend to anybody but the hardcore tech riding fiends who enjoy brutal steep climbs. The trails I woud recommend to out of towners would have to be Tecolote Canyon and Lake Hodges.

miles
iron on a pure DH bike == a total waste. get something with a small ring to pedal. you will still have some HAB, but way less than if you have a DH rig. cleavlanger is an awesome ride, totally legal. think san juan with rock gardens thrown in every 60 feet.
both of these spots are highly underated imho. way better than noble or the other XC spots (hodges, daly, tecolote canyon, etc etc)
 

·
just rub some dirt on it
Joined
·
293 Posts
http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/parks/sanpasqual.shtml

Anyone ever ride the raod on that map above the 2 trail heads that is named "Drasco Guejito"? I have always thought that there might be some good trails off that main fire road
but have never checked it out and parking next to the boat someone dropped off looks little sketchy.:skep:
 

·
Equal opportunity meanie
Joined
·
2,781 Posts
dft said:
iron on a pure DH bike == a total waste. get something with a small ring to pedal. you will still have some HAB, but way less than if you have a DH rig. cleavlanger is an awesome ride, totally legal. think san juan with rock gardens thrown in every 60 feet.
both of these spots are highly underated imho. way better than noble or the other XC spots (hodges, daly, tecolote canyon, etc etc)
I'm concerned with the descent part of it. I'll push up anything (really - eyeballing the San Jacinto death route for this spring, or at least as much as I can do).

Whereabouts is Cleavlanger?
 
G

·
DHidiot said:
Anyone got some shots of Iron Mountain? Would a DH bike be fun at all on it? The hike doesn't look bad at all.
Dhi,
Here are 2 shots on Ellie Lane, a ridge over from Iron. I would say Iron on a dh rig would limit your climbing, and you'd be habbing for 3 miles to the top. Only 2/3 imho can actually be ridden on the way up. This trail has some great chunk sections and is well worth the hab or climb up. A little over an hour to get to the top. There is plenty of hiker traffic, so be aware, and courteous when descending. Most of them like the show, so don't dissapoint them by crashing.:D Ellie has tighter switchbacks, and some chunkier sections. Less hikers too. good luck!



 
G

·
miles said:
Iron Mountain and San Pasqual/Clevenger Canyon. You must do them. Preferably on the same day.

miles
good choices. Never been on Clevenger, here it's a killer trail. Need to hit it one of these days. May I suggest Mt. Woodsen? Good climb/hab in some sections. Chunky on the top, and high speed on the lower.
 

·
ISO Gems...
Joined
·
549 Posts
DHidiot said:
Anyone got some shots of Iron Mountain? Would a DH bike be fun at all on it? The hike doesn't look bad at all.
Here's a few shots, I would recommend doing the Iron/Ellie combo if you have the time and plan on setting aside appx. 3 hours to do both trails. Best chunkage in IMO thats only a stone throw away from town.

D
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
miles said:
San Juan's not in San Diego.
Yeah but that trail kicks ass. :thumbsup: It's pretty close to San Diego.

Depends where in San Diego he's staying.

I say Nobel Canyon and San Juan Trail. Try and hook up with someone locally or from here to do the rides so you don't get lost, at least on San Juan, Nobel is pretty easily navigated.

Anyway good luck to whichever you decide, have fun.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top