Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1997 GF Big Sur, and the suspension fork is all but toast. I want to replace it with a rigid fork. It takes a 1 1/8 inch Threadless, which I have found on-line, but they are double the price of the threaded. Just curious why they are so expensive. Is this a particularly coveted item? Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find one in the $30-$40 range? Anyone have one that are willing to part with for a reasonable price? $70+ seems a bit over the top for a fork to put on a 20 year old bike. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Options for 26er forks have been more limited due to changing/current trends. In addition to checking the sales forum or trade threads here, check your local craigslist or Facebook. Perhaps if you have a LBS that sells used parts or even look into a local mtb club. Ebay isn't always the best option these days either. You should look for a fork that has no more than 425mm axle to crown length for that older ride.

A number of offerings that were readily available choices a few years ago, now no longer offer those forks. It is becoming more niche unfortunately. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.