Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
What does a bean mean?!
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice for a fairly new transplant on what to ride up around Nederland before winter sets in? I've explored the stuff down low here in Bo & Jeff Cos and am looking to expand my trail knowledge while I still can this season.

I'm a XC-AM kinda guy who enjoys anything from short and sweet up to ~3 hour rides. But I'm working to build my endurance up for longer stuff so I'd appreciate general info on longer routes too for future inspiration.

The stuff I've got decent beta on is West Mag, 'The Dot Trails' and the biggies like Sourdough. Is it cool to connect stuff on the gravel roads that the Trails Illustrated maps show the bike icon on, even if they go through what is shown as private property?

On a different note, are there better maps for mountain bikers than Trails Illustrated? I'm surprised the CO ones don't have a table to match the trail #s with names and lengths like the Pisgah NF map I'm used to, so in some areas their usefulness is limited.

Thanks!

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
On a different note, are there better maps for mountain bikers than Trails Illustrated? I'm surprised the CO ones don't have a table to match the trail #s with names and lengths like the Pisgah NF map I'm used to, so in some areas their usefulness is limited.

Thanks!
Find a Latitude 40 map - the Front Range map is a great overview. If you plan on riding in Boulder County more, check out their Boulder map. Singletrack Maps is putting out some great maps too, but I haven't seen one for the Ned area yet.

·
What does a bean mean?!
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Sky Terrain map is the best one. Ned is best learned through exploration, not explanation. Get that map, get out there, and start exploring!
Agreed. If I've got a good map I'm comfortable getting 'lost' exploring. Problem is, the maps I've got aren't too hot. I'll check into Latitude 40 and Sky Terrain maps, thanks for pointing those out to me.

It surprises and frustrates me that the various Trails Illustrated maps don't follow the same symbol key. One map will have different trail colors to indicate allowed uses, but the next one over just has them all black and you have to look for the little bike icon, and then hope it applies to the whole length. Like I said, the Pisgah one is really good and I just assumed these would follow the same formula when I ordered them. Makes it hard to see what you're looking at when going back and forth between adjoining maps. :madman:

Also, to clear things up, I'm not looking for info on 'secret' trails or anything, just want to know what's good up there. General advice on fun rides. "Trail X -> dirt road Y -> trail Z" is all I want/need.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
you might want to check this thread , scroll down, to get map for dots. you might also try national geographic map of nederland area. has west mag and dots. not as detailed though. every time i go exploring i download and print their map. pretty good resource, they have quite a few areas of co covered.

·
Agent of tang
1,141 Posts
Agreed. If I've got a good map I'm comfortable getting 'lost' exploring. Problem is, the maps I've got aren't too hot. I'll check into Latitude 40 and Sky Terrain maps, thanks for pointing those out to me.

Also, to clear things up, I'm not looking for info on 'secret' trails or anything, just want to know what's good up there. General advice on fun rides. "Trail X -> dirt road Y -> trail Z" is all I want/need.
From what I've seen, the Sky Terrain is best for exploring, it has trails in it that would be difficult to find without it (and are difficult to find with it!).

As for the last paragraph, that's tough because you already professed knowledge of West Mag and the dots. Plus some trails have names that may be known but aren't on a map, and others have names just amongst friends. And still others (short "access" trails or roads, for ex) have no names at all. So I could tell you this: Park at West Mag, ride Observatory to Hobbit 3 to Schoolbus, then up to the toilet bowl, back down, and hit the Sweet trail, but I'm not sure that would be of much value to you. But still, if you can find the Schoolbus, do ride it all the way to the tippy top and you will figure out what the toilet bowl is. :D And then turn around and ride it back down. That's pretty good riding.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
IMO, the best map for Ned is the Lat 40 1st edition "Boulder - Nederland Trails" map. Better scale of the local goods than the Lat 40 Boulder County or the Sky Terrain. Covers everything between Rollinsville and Raymond. You can pick one up at the Ace Hardware in Ned.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
. Is it cool to connect stuff on the gravel roads that the Trails Illustrated maps show the bike icon on, even if they go through what is shown as private property?
Don't ride through the private property. The friendly Nederland locals, like myself, will shoot you. Or is it okay to ride through your private property? Can I take a dump on your private property? Screw my girlfirend on your front lawn?

I ain't s h i t t i n you. That happens up here. People think they are "on vacation" and normal rules of society don't apply.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Depends.. is she hot? Do we get to watch?

Might avoid the grassy area.. it's a leach field.
Thump. I s h i t you not. Runners come up my road every weekend. One saturday morning, this group of 4 guys are running past my house as I step outside. One of them starts ranting about how he takes to take a wicked dump, He starts asking his buddies if they think it's alright for him to drop his pants and squat one out right on my fugging front lawn! All the time, they don't see me standing there. Just when Mr. Big load starts to drop his shorts, I yell "I don't think that's such a good idea!" I then said; " give me you address in town so I can come down there and take a dump on your front lawn!". The dood puckers up, and they run on.
So what I'm sayng is, Nederland is the playground for the Boulder ignorant, regarding proper manners and sanitary procedures

P.S. If anyone wanted to screw a really hot chick on my front yard, I would'nt mind too much, if my wife wasn't home. :D

·
What does a bean mean?!
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't ride through the private property. The friendly Nederland locals, like myself, will shoot you. Or is it okay to ride through your private property? Can I take a dump on your private property? Screw my girlfirend on your front lawn?

I ain't s h i t t i n you. That happens up here. People think they are "on vacation" and normal rules of society don't apply.
Haha, this is my new favorite reply. I certainly don't ride through private property, or even what I suspect might be private property. Where I grew up that's something you just don't do. Pretty pisspoor if people are cruising through your land. And you can come ride in my "lawn" if you want, but it ain't big enough to pop a wheelie in.

That's why I'm asking. These maps I have mark certain unpaved roads as "mountain bike routes" but they pass through land with the shading of private property and I'm not certain if these roads are private or public. I understand the "learn by exploring" route people are suggesting, but I don't want to learn that the road connecting the loop I'm doing is private via a few shots across the bow.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Haha, this is my new favorite reply. I certainly don't ride through private property, or even what I suspect might be private property. Where I grew up that's something you just don't do. Pretty pisspoor if people are cruising through your land. And you can come ride in my "lawn" if you want, but it ain't big enough to pop a wheelie in.

That's why I'm asking. These maps I have mark certain unpaved roads as "mountain bike routes" but they pass through land with the shading of private property and I'm not certain if these roads are private or public. I understand the "learn by exploring" route people are suggesting, but I don't want to learn that the road connecting the loop I'm doing is private via a few shots across the bow.
Thank you, that's cool of you. I won't shoot you. Just way and smile when you ride through my front yard, and you're good. :D

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
Thump. I s h i t you not.
Damn.. I get the occasional hiker wondering through ours, but no extra fertilizing that I know of. I think I would have waited until he started then let the dog loose.

OP - We have enough traffic that most the private roads around here will be gated or at least well marked (occasionally signed as private even when they aren't). As long as you're not gate hopping and stay on the path you shouldn't get in a bind.

·
What does a bean mean?!
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks thump, I figured as much but haven't explored off the paved roads enough to know if everything was well signed. And I figure an old coot or two will gripe for riding by his place even though it's legit every once in awhile too. Just part of the game.

And I agree with letting the dumper start before taking action, then you'd literally scare the sh*t out of him!

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,899 Posts

Some West Mag trails go thru PP, like schoolbus, but it's marked and you are allowed to ride thru, just stay on the trail. Other places, like the road to the top of Tennessee Mtn, are clearly marked "no trespassing".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.