Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not specifically related to a bike crash, but me as a rider am down for a little bit.

Last summer my doctor noticed a bulge in my neck. I had it ultra-sounded and turns out I have a few "nodules" attached to my thyroids. The one one the right side was by far the largest and only one you could visibly see.

All of them were biopsied and found the be Benign (non-cancerous).

The doc wanted to remove it last July but my wife and I were only 1 month out from welcoming our baby daughter into the world and the timing was not right.

Fast forward to a few months ago and I had an Ultra Sound done again, the big one grew a tiny bit and the small ones got smaller. No one knows why. but we scheduled surgery to remove the large one and leave the small ones alone for now. I did this because it would involve the removal of the Thyroid as well and if I lost both sides then I would be on Hormone medication the rest of my life. I am already on enough Blood Pressure medicine to choke a horse ( https://forums.mtbr.com/california-socal/aortic-disection-805994.html ) and I would prefer to keep one thyroid and hope it can produce enough hormones on it's own. Only time will tell.

So yesterday I went in for surgery and had it removed. Mostly just pain in my neck where the cut is and I hope to be back on the bike soon.

I am gonna have one heck of a neck scar!

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,823 Posts
Not specifically related to a bike crash, but me as a rider am down for a little bit.

Last summer my doctor noticed a bulge in my neck. I had it ultra-sounded and turns out I have a few "nodules" attached to my thyroids. The one one the right side was by far the largest and only one you could visibly see.

All of them were biopsied and found the be Benign (non-cancerous).

The doc wanted to remove it last July but my wife and I were only 1 month out from welcoming our baby daughter into the world and the timing was not right.

Fast forward to a few months ago and I had an Ultra Sound done again, the big one grew a tiny bit and the small ones got smaller. No one knows why. but we scheduled surgery to remove the large one and leave the small ones alone for now. I did this because it would involve the removal of the Thyroid as well and if I lost both sides then I would be on Hormone medication the rest of my life. I am already on enough Blood Pressure medicine to choke a horse ( https://forums.mtbr.com/california-socal/aortic-disection-805994.html ) and I would prefer to keep one thyroid and hope it can produce enough hormones on it's own. Only time will tell.

So yesterday I went in for surgery and had it removed. Mostly just pain in my neck where the cut is and I hope to be back on the bike soon.

I am gonna have one heck of a neck scar!
damn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.