Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a crash back on halloween where i went head first into a dirt bank at my local DJ's and it kinked my neck sideways and gave me wicked whiplash. I thought i only had whiplash but 1.5 months later im in physical therapy for a jacked up neck. Were hoping its something that will heal on its own but definately damaged something in the joints. I almost got full movement back but now im definately going to look into some neck protection.

So im mainly curious what the pros and cons are of both of these. i would want an adjustable one but mainly i just want whichever one would protect more.

any help would be appreciative.

also im a pretty skinny guy, 6 feet even, 180 lbs (should be back down to 165 by riding season) and wear a bell bellistic helmet. So any sizing suggestions would be helpfull too.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
havent heard anything about the alpinestars bionic yet but it looks nice. may not open up as wide as the industry standard leatt gpx club and i dont see the adjustability the leatt has. both of these could be a drag. on the plus side its $100 less and comes in 4 sizes vs the 2 of the leatt. at this time i fully plan on buyin a med leatt before the next season due to its reputation and engeneering. ive also tried 1 on with my d2 and was pleased with the fit. im 5'9", 160 lbs and pretty slim. if the alpinestars chart is worth a hoot id say a med might work best for you but thats just a guess.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i wear a Leatt moto gpx and it is great and worth the investment. they come in 2 sizes Small and Medium. I am 6 foot 180 lbs and the medium fits really well. There is a ton of adjustments and it is really easy to fit.. I had a crash this season where I definitely felt it work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am 6'1 and 217lbs right now. Should be around <200 by the time racing starts again.

I have been riding with the Medium Leatt this whole year and I do not ride without it now. You need to wear a full face helmet with it no matter what. As for the sizing, the Leatt comes with 3 sets of inserts to customize the sizing for your body type.

I have had a few nasty crashes while wearing it and have really noticed it working. Worth every penny to reduce the risk of not being able to walk later on in life.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, thanks guys

i definately felt my head kinking too far to the side. I also really messed up my wrist so i might be getting surgery for that. we'll find out next week. luckily riding season has been over for about a month.

With the holidays money is tight right now so ill have to just keep my eyes open for a good deal. i have til march before any real riding is available anyway.

how much to the Leatt GPX clubs run for? any deals anyone knows of?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
leatt is price locked at $395 for the gpx club and requiers all its dealers to sign a agreement so other than used or buyers remorse on ebay, there are no deals. buyin new to make sure a crash hasnt compromised the brace is worth every penny too.

sooooo.... fix the tranny sender and brake booster on the passat or order my leatt? better fix the car and wait till spring for the goodies.

·
Registered
531 Posts
cactuscorn said:
leatt is price locked at $395 for the gpx club and requiers all its dealers to sign a agreement so other than used or buyers remorse on ebay, there are no deals. buyin new to make sure a crash hasnt compromised the brace is worth every penny too.

sooooo.... fix the tranny sender and brake booster on the passat or order my leatt? better fix the car and wait till spring for the goodies.
Isn't that price fixing? I've heard of setting a lowest advertised price agreement but agreeing to sell an item for no less that X amount could sure be considered price fixing.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
check out ridemonkey. theres a few threads there comparing. a few riders there have the alpinestars brace.

i think it was mentioned though, you want to use a Moto helmet with the Alpinestars, since the range of movement is a lil more than the Leatt, a lil too much for a MTB helmet.

if your gonna get a Leatt, get a medium. I'm 5'5" and skinny, and use the small, and i have to use the LARGE chip and the wide back piece.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm 6' and 150 pounds. I ride the Medium Leatt Sport (same as the Club with a little extra CF to shave a few grams). The small is really sized for kids and small adults. The bigger size should fit you fine.

As mentioned before, the two companies have differing thoughts on what types of impacts are more serious and therefore require the most attention. Leatt Braces are designed mostly to protect against hyper-extension types of impacts in which the neck is over flexed either, fore, aft, or laterally. The Alpinestars brace is designed to protect more against compression impacts.

I don't have any experience with the Alpinestars piece, but I have been very happy with my GPX Sport and my wife's GPX Club.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
bapesta said:
is the GPX worth an upgrade over the Adventure?web says the GPX has more adjustment, what is it?
yes and no. some people the Adventure fits fine (range of movement). others, they need the adjustment of the front and rear decks to get the range of movement needed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The GPX has more (needed in my opinion) adjust-ability in the back. When I am going down a steep trail I want/need to be able to look up.

Paired with the new Troy Lee Designs D3 helmet, its like I am not even wearing it.

(This is the first helmet designed around the brace to allow for the maximum amount of safe movement)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have a long neck and can't imagine trying to function without the added adjustments offered by the GPX (sport or club). With the rear "deck" moved all the way down, I still occasionally find a pitch where I have trouble getting my head back enough to see as far down the trail as I want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leatt Brace

I have a Leatt brace I use when I am riding my CRF450r and I really like it. I am 6'2" 165lbs with a fairly long neck and it adjusted enough to fit me comfortably. I would say try them both on if you can and see which one is more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
The Leatt breaks collarbones,the A-stars will cost you a collarbone,an arm and a leg! Try the EVS brace,for around $150,its the best deal out there.Some MX guys like them because the design does not put pressure on the collarbone during impact,causing breakage.I wore the EVS when I was racing Quad Motocross!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts