Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that had a motorcycle accident and broke his neck (C1 & C2). He was told by his doctor that he should never mountain bike again because his neck is too fragile after the repairs. I have used the Leatt neck braces for years and believe they are good at preventing neck injuries. However, I’m not sure they are the best way to prevent neck injuries. Considered a rod that would attach to the rear of the helmet and follow the spine down to a Harness/corset that would be attached to the upper torso. It would have to easily detach from the helmet for helmet removal. It could incorporate a pivot device where the brace attaches to the helmet to allow the head to rotate somewhat to allow some comfort and increased visibility. I know this brace would be too restrictive and cumbersome for most riders but some, like myself and my friend, would use it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In thinking about my idea, a lanyard could be used to attach the end of the rod to the helmet. This would absorb lateral (sideways and front and rear) and twisting forces but wouldn't work well for compressive forces (if you hit on the top of your head) I don't know how much the Leatt type neck braces protect against compressive forces but, if they do, in addition to my brace, I would wear a Leatt type brace

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.