Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what tires other Nebraska riders use and why? I'm considering tossing the roll-x's on my stumpy but theres so many options that I have no clue what to try plus I don't have the money to just buy tires till I find something I like. I would greatly appreciate any advice or input. Places I'm hoping to ride more are Platte River SP, Indian Caves, Swanson, just to name a few and let you know the conditions I'll be riding in. Also can anyone can recommend any good areas to ride near Lincoln - Omaha .

Thanks !!

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
good place to ride? Platte River State Park.

Also, Lewis and Clark in CB, Indian Caves, Ponca, some new trails at Lake Manawa, Wilderness park...

·
ride
5,275 Posts
speed3400 said:
I'm curious what tires other Nebraska riders use and why? I'm considering tossing the roll-x's on my stumpy but theres so many options that I have no clue what to try plus I don't have the money to just buy tires till I find something I like. I would greatly appreciate any advice or input. Places I'm hoping to ride more are Platte River SP, Indian Caves, Swanson, just to name a few and let you know the conditions I'll be riding in. Also can anyone can recommend any good areas to ride near Lincoln - Omaha .

Thanks !!
Can't really go wrong with tires. My only advice would be to not run a huge tire. Where you are, the dirt is black and absent of rocks. Good traction is bountiful about everywhere. Something without super aggressive nobs, 2.1 or smaller. The roll-xs will be fine.

Debaser's on it. Platte is super sweet. Caves is good too. I miss it...

·
Let the cowbell ring
83 Posts
Hutchinson Pythons are good. I run nanoraptors on my 29er. anything with a fast tread doesn't need to be super aggressive. Platte River is one of the best. Also add Lewis and Clark State park in Council Bluffs as well as Lake Manawa. All similar as far as types of tire to use. Just different amounts of suffering. I'll be back in the area this weekend for the Transiowa race. I'm running 42cm cross tires. Doesn't take much to run fast.
speed3400 said:

Thanks !!

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
The other posters pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as tires go. I personally like Bontrager Jones AC's, but everyone has their own preferenecs. The key is to run a tire that is made for dry weather conditions. We don't really have many roots or rocks, so traction is really not a big deal out here.

Also because of our soil type, wet-riding conditions majorly suck and I avoid them altogether, so you probably won't need anything that is designed as a mud-shedder. Great if you live in Pack NW or New England, but not very practical here.

We live in the land of hard-packed soil, so no need to put a tire on your bike that is designed to handle roots, rocks and mud.

Places to ride in Eastern NE? Well, the best rides have already been mentioned: Platte and Lewis and Clark. But Indian Caves, Ponca, and Stone State Park are also really nice. Ponca and Stone are near Sioux City and you can make a day and ride both. They are both really good rides, and you can camp there.

Then you have the great Omaha "neighborhood" rides: Manawa, Tranquility, Swanson.

Lincoln folks have Wilderness, Branched Oak, and Pawnee as their neighborhood rides, as you probably know.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Pawndream said:
and Stone State Park are also really nice.

... and Pawnee as their neighborhood rides, as you probably know.
Hey Pawndream. It's been awhile since I've been in NE and ridden anything but the usual suspects around Omaha and Lincoln. What's Stone? We used to race up at Ponca all the time. Love the terrain around there, and the Goat Trail was super good.

And how's Pawnee? Last time I lived out there, there weren't any trails there except for some game trails around the lake. Worth checking out?

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
ignazjr said:
Hey Pawndream. It's been awhile since I've been in NE and ridden anything but the usual suspects around Omaha and Lincoln. What's Stone? We used to race up at Ponca all the time. Love the terrain around there, and the Goat Trail was super good.

And how's Pawnee? Last time I lived out there, there weren't any trails there except for some game trails around the lake. Worth checking out?
Stone State Park is in Sioux Cit, IA and consists of about 10 miles of really nice swoopy trails. Most of it is doubletrack running up and down a fairly substantial wooded hills. The climbs are gradual though, so not really burners, just long slow climbs (by our standards). Descending off the main summit there are a few different trail options that link back up near the bottom of a ravine. There is some nice areas to catch some air on the way down too.

There is also an out and back singletrack trail that runs off the main summit that runs along a crestline. This trail actually reminded me alot of riding in So Cal. Very high desert-like, and a total change from the typical NE/IA wooded hills.

Stone also is an awesome place to camp, which is what we did. Camp and ride. Then swing over to Ponca for more fun!

I think Pawnee has probably come a long way since you last rode there. They have actually staged a few races out there this past year and the Lincoln mountain biking community has done good things out there. I have only rode there once, but it reminded me alot of Branched Oak. Some of the trails were kind of rough, but I think as it gets ridden more it will smooth out.

I would ride Pawnee more if it were closer, but it's an hour drive (minimum) for me to get there (from Bellevue) and I have better options that are closer to me (in addition to similar places to ride in town - Lake Cunningham).

If I were in Lincoln I would ride there more often definitely.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Pawndream said:
I think Pawnee has probably come a long way since you last rode there. They have actually staged a few races out there this past year and the Lincoln mountain biking community has done good things out there. I have only rode there once, but it reminded me alot of Branched Oak. Some of the trails were kind of rough, but I think as it gets ridden more it will smooth out.
Thanks for the tip. Next time I'm back, I'll have to head that direction. I'm still pretty tight with a lot of the Lincoln crew, but when I'm back we usually head to Platte or just thru Wilderness (still great). I have no idea when or if I'll make it back to the Sioux City 'hood.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Lincoln trails?

I'm reviving this old thread to see if there is any more recent input on which trails are the best/most challenging/ most well-maintained in the Lincoln area. I'm going to be down there in a couple weeks and would like to go riding. I used to live there, but 14 yrs ago there wasn't much available in the way of trails.
Are Wilderness, Pawnee and B. Oak the main spots still? Which would offer the most variety? I'm excited to get back that way and see what its like.
Thanks.

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
ToastR said:
I'm reviving this old thread to see if there is any more recent input on which trails are the best/most challenging/ most well-maintained in the Lincoln area. I'm going to be down there in a couple weeks and would like to go riding. I used to live there, but 14 yrs ago there wasn't much available in the way of trails.
Are Wilderness, Pawnee and B. Oak the main spots still? Which would offer the most variety? I'm excited to get back that way and see what its like.
Thanks.
Wilderness for an after work quickie. Platte State Park if you want something meaty. It will probably take you about the same amount of time to get to Platte as it would Branched Oak. Maybe a little bit longer. Platte gets my vote hands down on that action any day. Branched Oak is alright, but certainly no Platte.

As I mentioned before, I have only been to Pawnee one time, so I can't really comment much on it.. but unless they have done amazing things there since that one ride, it doesn't even come close to Platte.

Did I say Platte?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
platte rocked and i thought l & c was even better. i spend most of my time in stone and ponca but im a sioux city boy so that makes sense, doesnt it? lemme know if yer ever up this way. ill be more than happy to show ya around.

at 165 lbs i run:

2.1 larson tt's or 2.1 fire xc pro's on the flux depending on conditions.
2.35 minion dh's or 2.5 nevegal/blue groove's on the rfx depending on my mood and intent.
1.85 fire xc pro's on the homegrown h/t. sketchy in the tight, fast corners but fast everywhere else.

·
Living to ride
392 Posts
ToastR said:
Thanks much Pawndream. It sounds like Platte is the place. I'll have to check out Wilderness too since it's so close.
Last time I was out to wilderness is was rainy sloppy and more of a challenge because of that. I like it out there thou just cause its close and a quick fix.

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
Wherebob said:
Last time I was out to wilderness is was rainy sloppy and more of a challenge because of that. I like it out there thou just cause its close and a quick fix.
I agree Wherebob, Wilderness is a great quick fix ride. The only problem for me is that I have to drive an hour to get there, so I only make it out to Wilderness a handful of times per year.

If I lived in Lincoln, I would probably ride Wilderness several times per week. Not sure on the total mileage of Wilderness, but I am guess maybe 10 miles or so? Nice fast ride.

But in terms of the best trail in the "Lincoln area", that nod would not go to Wilderness Park.. as nice as it is.

·
Living to ride
392 Posts
Pawndream said:
But in terms of the best trail in the "Lincoln area", that nod would not go to Wilderness Park.. as nice as it is.
I agree there really isn't that much to it, mainly a trail through the woods kind of thing.
Its about the only trail I really ride. There are a few bike paths I've been on such as the MOPAC trail and a couple others but those are just concrete or gravel paths and pretty boring. I'd love to hit the Platte River State park again sometime, thats a cool trail!

·
ride4me
24 Posts
I live in Lincoln and have ridden Wilderness a few times this year (for the first time). I have to say that two weeks ago I went on the Tuesday night ride with the crew from Monkey Wrench and it was MUCH better than ridding alone. After a VERY long break from the MTN lifestyle I'm finally getting back into it and would have to say that I really enjoyed Swanson. I've been wanting to ride Platte for several years but never drove the 20 minutes there. It would be nice to put together an unofficial group ride there on a Saturday. If anyone is in, lets make this happen!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
platte on sat? i was supposed to play some woods ball but this sounds better by far! do ya mind a old slow guy who cant climb commin along? dont be afeard to tell me to stay home and clean my dentures if im gonna slow down a big group of fast guys. wouldnt be fun for any of us.

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
cactuscorn said:
platte on sat? i was supposed to play some woods ball but this sounds better by far! do ya mind a old slow guy who cant climb commin along? dont be afeard to tell me to stay home and clean my dentures if im gonna slow down a big group of fast guys. wouldnt be fun for any of us.
I wouldn't mind meeting up on Saturday for some Platte action. Only provision is that I don't get off work until 3:00pm. I could be at the trailhead and ready to go by 4:00pm though.

As far as speed goes, I wont be riding a blistering pace, so if you want a fast ride, probably will have to count me out. Just not a very fast rider, but I have decent endurance, so at least that's something.

I know the trail system pretty well, and can lead if need be. Especially if you have not ridden Platte before. Real easy to ride the sucky stuff and miss the good stuff.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.