Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well at least there are two of us still around here!!! i havent had time to get the SS out for a snow ride lately but i am planning on checkin out the tree damage at Potters soon . it will be a perfect oppurtunity to ride the redline. :thumbsup: dang sure gonna need the COLD weather gear though.

·
drink coffee, ride.
560 Posts
Used to be a NE rider, but was on the road. Moved to Phoenix in 1999. Saw the Potter's Pasture article in Nebraskaland, pretty trick lookin' place. Wish I had known about it when I lived there, would've been fat tire'n there instead of the skinnies.

We had 22 degrees this morning, thought that was cold - of course my blood has thinned considerably since leaving NE, anything below 50 has me getting out the leg warmers...I'll keep my 110 degree riding days

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
I am still around. Not riding dirt much these days though. When winter rolls around I usually stop riding my mountain bike, and start focusing more on running and swimming (indoor gym).

Hard to get motivated about riding when it is cold, and if you wait too long in the afternoon, the ground becomes mucky.

Winter off-road riding in NE sucks as far as I am concerned. Haven't had good luck with it, so now I pretty much avoid it altogether and do other things instead.

Once the weather warms up, and the trails become less mucky, I will be back in the saddle. But until that time, it's running and swimming for me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey PAWN how ya been ?? Winter has returned and it stinks!! Last year we rode Potters prety much all winter and most days in shorts to boot!!:thumbsup: Hope to see ya out here again this year .

·
ICORR - FORC
269 Posts
Another former 'braska rider here. First mtn bike ride on trails was at Cottonmill Lake by Kearney in '91. Used to ride Branched Oak, Platte River SP, and Indian Cave back in '98 and '99 when I lived in Lincoln. Moved to the Quad Cities in 2000, stop by Platte River on the way through I80 sometimes, still a good ride. I just love the idea of mtn bikers in Nebraska!

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
I have never "raced" Indian Caves, but I have been on pretty much all of the trails there, so I have a good idea what to expect based on how Psycowpath usually routes the trail.

Indian Caves can be pretty brutal. It's mostly straight up and straight down, with minimal switchbacking to break up the climbs.

I posted a pretty in depth trail review/post of it last summer. Read this for an idea of what the ride is like:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=205362

Fortunately, Psycowpath cuts out alot of the really nasty stuff on the Beginner loop, so it shouldn't be *that* bad. Here is a map showing the route, with contour lines, so it should give you an idea of what kind of climbs to expect (if you know how to read contour lines).

http://www.trailshaveourrespect.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=8&Itemid=48

Indian Caves is a fun trail, but it is also demanding. Probably the most demanding trail in Eastern Nebraska. Don't be scared away by that. It's no worse than say, Platte State Park, but where Platte has some nice flow to break up climbs... Indian Caves has very little flow (as far as I am concerned.)

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
I think this IS the result of global warming . . . right? Some sort of thing with a sluggish Gulf Stream or something . . . Anyway, it should be nice and slushy this weekend . . .

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sounds like its gonna be pretty nice out this weekend!! if i can i am gonna go to potters and check out the tree damage and scout a new trail i want to put in . seems like somethin always comes up to change MY plans though. i guess that will be the case again !! :madman: :skep:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like there should be some good stuff around Scottsbluff but I have never heard anyone talk about it !!!! I guess if you have freinds or family there it would be worth going. I would probably head for the Pole mountain trails between Cheyenne and Laramie. Anyone else know anything????

·
Living to ride
392 Posts
Sorry, I'm still lurking around just not much to say. Tired of the snow, actually the ice, the snow is fun but the ice puts me on my butt too much to enjoy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.