Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Check your welds

If you are launching like that don't forget that all pilots visually inspect the plane before every flight.
My Loco Moto lasted 5 full years and I was horrified to stumble upon a crack at the head-down tube junction when I was swapping out the pivot bearing. I never would have seen it except that I had the bike upside down on a bench. When I called Titus to negotiate replacement policy, they reminded me that aluminum is not forever...maybe ti, but not aluminum.
I am now on a 2 yr old RX100. Not a dropper but so light that you can sail off any kick in the trail. I clean the frame and inspect not to be neat, but to be safe.
Cool bike, have fun.

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
Six years here and my 'Blade is still going strong! Man does the ano finish hold up, when I tell people how long I've had it they usually comment that it looks new. I do check the welds occasionally, but my SP always has nearly full insertion, and I don't take large drops to flat or otherwise intentionally abuse it.

We have several Titus dealers in my area now, and I see RXs and MLs all the time on the trails. Up until '05 or so I had seen three other Titus' total. And two of those belonged to friends whom I convinced to buy.

Lately the 'Blade has been sitting while I play on the SM. If I know I'm riding with fast people it's my only choice, but for most group rides and solo, I love how solid the SM is. No need for finesse.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Cool. Classic Titus rules. I guess you have taken it on some sweet jumps! :thumbsup:

I was "this" close to buying an ano blue SB back in the fall of '01 when I saw the HH100x and fell in love. Changed my order and waited 'til March '02 to get it. I still have it and still ride it a lot..... and still love it. Just spent $250 upgrading the drivetrain and replacing all the cables and housing. It feels like new. Still rock solid. Floats like a butterfly... Stings like a bee.

It's seen over 6 years of hard riding. I guess I'd better start checking the welds, huh?

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey!

you kids get off my lawn!!! yer stealin my thunder. :D

nice shots, boys. this bike has been great to and for me. eventually it will come to an end (at which point so will my titus love affair), but until then i'm airin' it out....

ride on...

·
Registered
450 Posts
KRob said:
Cool. Classic Titus rules. I guess you have taken it on some sweet jumps! :thumbsup:

I was "this" close to buying an ano blue SB back in the fall of '01 when I saw the HH100x and fell in love. Changed my order and waited 'til March '02 to get it. I still have it and still ride it a lot..... and still love it. Just spent $250 upgrading the drivetrain and replacing all the cables and housing. It feels like new. Still rock solid. Floats like a butterfly... Stings like a bee.

It's seen over 6 years of hard riding. I guess I'd better start checking the welds, huh?
Cool, I too got HH100x after all the praise on this site... I guess it's now 4 years old or is it 5? Dunno, might have to check the email archive.
My HH100x is still fantastic bike, here are some of stuff worn out or broken: 3 rear der hangers, 2 derailleurs, 1 full set of bearings, 3 or 4 Octalink BB's (another one needs to changed this weekend), bag of shock bushings, at least 4 shock repairs (none after Pushing!) and spare shock, on the second wheelset etc. I have the original Fox Float 100RLC (have tried couple of forks too) and CK headset there. Zero frame problems during this time.

Seems that Charles is not at the Hammerheadbikes anymore? Too bad, HH100x is a classic. Most breakages were from lowers and seat tube / top tube junction and there weren't many of them.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
markom said:
Cool, I too got HH100x after all the praise on this site... I guess it's now 4 years old or is it 5? Dunno, might have to check the email archive.
My HH100x is still fantastic bike, here are some of stuff worn out or broken: 3 rear der hangers, 2 derailleurs, 1 full set of bearings, 3 or 4 Octalink BB's (another one needs to changed this weekend), bag of shock bushings, at least 4 shock repairs (none after Pushing!) and spare shock, on the second wheelset etc. I have the original Fox Float 100RLC (have tried couple of forks too) and CK headset there. Zero frame problems during this time.

Seems that Charles is not at the Hammerheadbikes anymore? Too bad, HH100x is a classic. Most breakages were from lowers and seat tube / top tube junction and there weren't many of them.
"Hey, hey, you, you, get off of my cloud!" Sorry about the mini-thread jack iridetitus.

Where do you live markom? Is there a lot of wet/muddy riding? I've ridden mine for thousands of miles and am still on the same octalink BB. Still smooth as new. I did replace the crank once mainly to get the new chainrings. Just barely replaced the original XTR rear derailleur. Have never even looked at the pivot bearings and they are still smooth and wobble-free. Same CK headset. Same Avid BB7 brakes (I did replace one bent rotor). Original Thompson seatpost and stem. As you can see though, I ride in the desert.

Yep. Charles sold the shop apparently but I have it on good authority that the new owner is super cool and is covering all existing warranty issues and is great to work with also.

·
Chilling out
6,038 Posts
iridetitus said:
when did charles sell the shop?
about two months ago, give or take.

New owner Cody Baron is a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is though.

Charles is still in the picture, just not as fiscally tied. Fits since Cody wants it to be his only gig and Charles just couldn't.

Back on topic though

< insert gratuitous Quasi-Moto picture here >

Sailing into 5th year of happiness (got Quasi in June 03), original spec was 32# with fox vanilla 125 fork, fox vanilla rc shock, xt cranks, xt drivetrain - current spec is marzocchi 66 SL1 ATA fork, roco TST r PUSHd rear shock (with 2.25" stroke vs 2" stock), sram x9 drivetrain, raceface diabalous cranks.

Only damage i've managed to inflict on the frame was a bent chainstay (fell on top the bike, on top of rocks) and one snapped main pivot bolt (similar fall). 13k miles after buildup, she's still rockin' and rollin' and the only bike right now that I think could beat it would be the Ti version.

:D

·
Registered
450 Posts
KRob said:
Where do you live markom? Is there a lot of wet/muddy riding? I've ridden mine for thousands of miles and am still on the same octalink BB. Still smooth as new. I did replace the crank once mainly to get the new chainrings. Just barely replaced the original XTR rear derailleur. Have never even looked at the pivot bearings and they are still smooth and wobble-free. Same CK headset. Same Avid BB7 brakes (I did replace one bent rotor). Original Thompson seatpost and stem. As you can see though, I ride in the desert.

Yep. Charles sold the shop apparently but I have it on good authority that the new owner is super cool and is covering all existing warranty issues and is great to work with also.
Above Arctic Circle in Finland until last fall when we moved to southern part of the country....in general it is wet during spring and autumn and winters are cold (-30F is not unusual. I keep my bikes in unheated shed so that might explain some problems with the bb and shocks.
I'm about to put in third set of chainrings for the same cranks, wish I had noticed that the bb was shot before buying new rings. :madman: CK headset is still ok but it has marked fork steerer quite clearly.

Warranty-wise I'm not expecting much at this point, I'll keep riding it until it breaks or until there won't be derailleur hangers available anymore.
I haven't even decided what bike is next, probably a 5" x 5" bike with relatively tight suspension, there are now several good designs around even from the big companies which were pretty clueless 4 years ago. Pivot stuff is interesting but might benefit from redesign (I'd like cleaner lines, simplified construction), Motolite or one of them Homerbikes or Ventana or maybe even Giant/GT as complete bike. I need to test ride few options when I have a chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.